Kicked out


Advertisement
Published: March 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The promise that San Cristobal would be sat beneath cloudless strikingly blue skies was fulfilled. At over 2100m above sea level the air was clean and fresh with the only draw back being that once the sun went down it become fairly chill.

Upon arrival to a new place we’ve enhanced our accommodation search tactics. Heading straight to look at potential hostels laden with all our stuff always seemed to put us on the back foot for negotiation and force us into a quick decision anxious to get settled and relax. The revised tactics were to first hall-up somewhere for a coffee or something stronger and work out a route to checkout the most likely guide book recommendations plus anything else promising on the way. Then either one of us or both would size up the options at a more relaxed pace. So this was what we did on arrival to San Cristobal. We’d also picked up a recommendation from a French lad that we’d met in Honduras to add into the mix (recommendations are essential to break away from the guide book options that always carry a price premium due to their resultant publicity). We located the French backed cheap option, Posada Tata Inti, and it came in at a very low cost six quid a night for a double room so despite the slight lingering smell of marijuana and proliferation of hippie-esk guests we decided to cash in on this cheap option for our planned four night stay.

To cut a moderately long story short we were evicted after two nights from Tata Inti. We probably should have seen it coming based on the unnerving frequent glances of disapproval from our fellow guests. Seemingly the girlfriend of the bloke that had checked us in had taken a disliking to our non pyjama like clothes and our lack of desire to while away our days banging bongos and smoking dope. We’ve not got much knowledge of the origins of the hippie movement but felt blatant discrimination was probably not one of their founding beliefs. So we left Tata Inti and found somewhere that would entertain our obviously highly provocative behaviour of exploring the city and its unique museums by day and enjoying its busy cultural scene with a few drinks at night.

Apart from hostel eviction San Cristobal proved a great place to spend some days despite it oddly polarised material wealth gap between its south and north sides. Now we head for the warmth of beach side Puerto Escondido.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0674s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb