PALENQUE AND SAN CRISTOBAL DE LAS CASAS


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Chiapas » Palenque
December 22nd 2008
Published: December 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

PALENQUE  SOUVENIR SHOPPALENQUE  SOUVENIR SHOPPALENQUE SOUVENIR SHOP

SELLING REBEL DOLLS!!
The ruins of Palenque is massive, took us a few hours to see, but I thought the ruins of Chichen Itza was better. Lots of tourists as usual, you can climb a few pyramids. There is also a few waterfalls, not so big though. Went back to town for lunch and ate at this nice restaurant, a bit expensive for me, but for the experience of eating nice once in awhile why not. They serve some tortillas for appetizers with super spicy sauce, my mouth was burning. Dropped off our laundry at the cheapes laundrymat we could find. I got separated from Lars and Helene as i update my blog on the internet, we met up later for dinner then i went back to the hostel while they went for a drink again!! Before that we watched this postal stamp launching at the plaza after dinner, having a few drinks at this nice restaurant across the plaza. At the dorm I met Paul from London a yound lad doing some volunteer work in Guatemala and Connor from New York a very tall dude who did 2 years of Peace Corps volunteer work in Bolivia. We had quite an interesting conversations then
SAN CRISTOBAL DE LAS CASASSAN CRISTOBAL DE LAS CASASSAN CRISTOBAL DE LAS CASAS

CAÑON DE SUMIDERO
off to bed. Paul and I in the middle of the night got woken up by loud snoring across our beds, thought it was Lars but it was another guy, well for once it wasnt me snoring!! It was quite cold as well so i shut the windows near me.

In the morning after breakfast we headed to the AEXA bus station for 80 pesos we had a very comfortable a/c bus to San Cristobal delas Casa. Took a good 5 hours, the town is a bit on the higher eleveation thus a bit nippy. We were accosted by a guy working for a hostel, asking us if we need accomodation, he was very kind, we told him we already have a place in mind and gave us his hostel brochure in case we did not like it, he was the first Latino i met here in Yucatan!! Most are Indian looking. Anywaya we had lunch at a nearby restaurant, very good longanisa and some tacos. The Helene wanted to walk to the hostel so we did, 25 minutes later we found it, we saw lots of nice plazas and churches and panaderias along the way. Checked in at the Backpacker's hostel then had a walk in the Cathedral Lars buying a jumper on the stalls around the church complex. I looked for an ATM place and met them later and had a few drinks at the La Revolucion bar, 7 pitchers later of Sol and Dos Equis, there was a folk band performing, with strange local guitars and foot stomping, looks very indie hippie, one dude whom i spoke to later said he is from Peru, the others also from all over.

Had dinner after that then off to bed i did, while Lars and Helene went bar hopping again. The dorm is quite full now, some Israelis, Austrians etc, there is a bonfire that they lit up every night cause it was quite cold, i socialized a bit then off to bed.
The next morning we went for a day trip to Cañon de Sumidero, a very deep canyon and you go on a boat to see it, also saw some wildlife like crocs, and pelicans and other birds, iguanas etc. From there we stopped at Chiapas de Corzo for lunch then back to town.

First thing I ddi is to arrange my transport the next day to Guatemala. Changed my plan, Xela was my destination but decided to go to Panajachel instead so i can spend more time in the lake. Justin an English guy will travel to Santa Cruz with me, we have the same itinerary more or less. Had dinner for the last time with Lars and Helene, they are off to El Salvador, booking the same transport as us to Guatemala, they go to Antigua. Went back to the hostel after dinner, chatted with the Austrian girls, and gave them the name of the place we are staying in Santa Cruz.

We got picked up around 8am and off we go to Guatemala, the trip to the busy border was about five dollars, it was chilly and rained a bit, we stopped for breakfast, and i have a wonderful local cuisine. At the border we switched vans and off we go to Guatemala.


Additional photos below
Photos: 53, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

PALENQUEPALENQUE
PALENQUE

POSADA NACHA´Â´n KAÃN
PALENQUE RUINSPALENQUE RUINS
PALENQUE RUINS

ancient toilet


Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0441s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb