Feliz Navidad!


Advertisement
Published: January 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Baja California

San Diego to Los Cabos

Yes, Merry Christmas from Mexico!

After some persuading, I agreed to K's suggestion that we travel to Baja California for the Christmas holiday. We went to Los Cabos, which comprises two towns 30km apart at the southern tip of the peninsula, San Jose del Cabo and Cabo San Lucas.

It's almost 1,000 miles by road from San Diego so we didn't drive!

Quiet

We stayed in the old town of San Jose del Cabo, which is much quieter than Cabo San Lucas and mercifully free of timeshare touts. (Well, except for two Londoners we overheard at a restaurant on our last morning). It also doesn't have bars called Squid Roe and The Giggling Marlin. 'Nuff said.

Los Cabos is south of the Tropic of Cancer, so the December temperatures were in the 80s, a welcome relief from the cool and rain (really) of San Diego. It felt very odd though packing for a holiday at Christmas and travelling without a coat!

We did have to travel to Cabo a few times though because that's inevitably where most of the activities are. Transport choices are US$35 for a taxi or a US$2 bus ride. No prizes for guessing our selection. Though the first time we did it we didn't realise the bus served places well north of the town, so we had to get a taxi back once we realised what was happening!

Oh, did I mention that this was on Christmas Day?

We were heading for Cabo San Lucas harbour to catch a sunset dinner cruise. No turkey on offer, but the food was decent, the band and after dinner floor show were entertaining and the views of the sunset were magnificent. Oh, and the drinks were included. Nice.

Lights and donkeys

The evening before this we had a leisurely walk around San Jose to look at their Christmas lights and decorations. It's a little odd seeing glitter and the rest in tropical temperatures, but very effective in the cool of the evening once it had got dark.

Now, look at the photo of the nativity scene just below and tell me that the donkey doesn't have a twinkle in it's eye? And just what has happened to the Baby Jesus? While we were pondering these important questions a small boy went up to the crib and asked his mother
Nativity sceneNativity sceneNativity scene

with donkey but without Baby Jesus
"Mama, is the donkey bad?"

Whales and Horses

On Boxing Day we were back on the water to do some whale watching. The warm waters of Baja California attract many whales in the winter and spring mating season and we were fortunate to see a couple of hump back whales on our trip.

Our final outing was to go horse riding on the beach. Not something I would necessarily go out of my way to do but it was fun. K was less sure, having been given what she thought was the 'evil horse' as she fell off it after five minutes riding and it galloped off into the distance! No harm to horse or rider and a replacement was quickly found. I did wonder though how we would have phrased a claim on our insurance for a lost horse...

So only a short trip but a good break from routine. If you do ever get the chance to go to Baja, take it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

El ArcoEl Arco
El Arco

Finisterre, or Land's End - where the Pacific ocean meets the Sea of Cortez (Gulf of California)
The Man in the HatThe Man in the Hat
The Man in the Hat

Well, you have to...
My horseMy horse
My horse

(The better behaved one)


Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0467s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb