Pelicans and snowbirds


Advertisement
Mexico's flag
North America » Mexico » Baja California Sur » Loreto
January 22nd 2010
Published: January 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

The pelicans seem to own the harbor. Hundreds of them. It's a wildlife moment, they circle close then dive straight in, wing folded back, egrets and comorants all around. Really close. In fact the commorants and the pelicans are pretty much adapted to folks walking right next to where they roost. The boat owners must spend a lot of time grinding their teeth over the pelicans, their boats look like guano collection boxes. The one nice boat that came into the harbor while I was there was immediately put on a trailer and hauled away. Out past the harbor flocks of boobies gather and do their aerial dives. Many of the moored boats looked like fishing boats.

Alaskan license plates, Oregon, Texas, California. Motor homes galore from north of the border. It´s a bit of a retirement/winter spot here in Loreto. I can see why. The weathers good. The people are nice and the costs are low. The town small and peaceful, a mix of old Mexico with a little bit of rush into the future. Some new hotels and some old. The streets in the center of town are clean. But it is not a boom town, there are a lot of closed stores and restaurants and half build hotels.

I found a room for US$27 close to the beach, Hotel Junipero. Balcony looks out over the old church. Simple but it works, and the folks are nice.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



25th January 2010

looks good, we'll see you soon
Glad you're enjoying Baja. You gotta love those pelicans. I love the way they dive-bomb into the water like fearless torpedoes. See you in Melaque! Janene
28th January 2010

I'll be there in 2 weeks!

Tot: 0.223s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 19; qc: 108; dbt: 0.1079s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb