Visit Postponed


Advertisement
Greenland's flag
North America » Greenland » West Greenland » Paamiut
August 9th 2019
Published: August 9th 2019
Edit Blog Post

August 6, 2019 – Paamiut, Greenland - Weather: at 9:00 am 39°F/4°C, Heavy fog enveloped the ship by 9:30 am, heavy rains in pm, clearing skies at sailing with heavy cloud bank on horizon, wind 4 mph, humidity 99°







Today’s port of call is Paamiut (Frederikshab), Greenland. Archaeological evidence shows that people have lived in the area since 1500 B.C. In 1742 the Danes established a trading post here and named it after Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark. Once a trading center for fur and whale products the town of 1,500 today is known for its soapstone carvings and apparel made from seal furs.



There has been considerable fog throughout the night as we approached Greenland. This morning as we were nearing the anchorage the fog was so thick, combined with considerable floating ice in the area that the Captain halted our forward progress and decided to wait until the fog lifted. The local airport reported that they had less than 300 feet visibility so even they had restricted movement. The sea was extremely calm and smooth.



As a precautionary measure the Captain sent one of the tenders, with a senior bridge officer aboard, into the anchorage to investigate the possibilities of making safe landings. Upon the tenders return the Captain announced that he had for safety reasons decided to totally suspend tender operations, cancel our visit to this port and move on to our next port of call down the Greenland coast.



Throughout our leisurely paced transit , we passed in and out of fog banks, were greeted by small flocks of seabirds, and the occasional pod of whales. Otherwise it was a typical day at sea, very relaxing.



On the main stage this evening we were entertained by a BBC production “Planet Earth II in Concert”. This production combines live music, provided by the onboard musicians, with a backdrop of breathtaking footage from BBC Earth.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0466s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb