Above the Artic Circle in Ilulissat


Advertisement
North America » Greenland » West Greenland » Ilulissat
August 18th 2012
Published: August 19th 2012
Edit Blog Post

North of the 69th parallel – Ice Camp Eqi & Ilulissat We’ve experienced a mere glimpse of Iceland and yet Greenland beckons. Our research has indicated that while you can reach Greenland by boat or air, you must travel from Copenhagen or Reykjavik, and only on certain days. It’s not like folks wake up one morning and say, “ I think we should pop over to Greenland for the weekend. What ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 61, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

One more photoOne more photo
One more photo

amazing colors
Personal sledPersonal sled
Personal sled

waiting for winter
Men at workMen at work
Men at work

Hard labor in the rocks
Blasting  - dangerBlasting  - danger
Blasting - danger

lots of road work



19th August 2012

Amazing!!!
Holy crap D and MJ, I am so happy for you. What an incredible place to visit. I loved the blog, the stories and the excitement of it all. You two are such an inspiration. I hope the rest of your trip is as beyond wonderful as this. I am still upset that Brutus got to go and I had to stay here. lol
19th August 2012

Brendan,
Brutus says to come on over. He'd love you to join us. We loved Greenland! It is an amazing corner of the world. Hopefully, you will add it to your short list.
19th August 2012

Greenland
Beautiful!
19th August 2012

Hey Marsha,
Good hearing from you. We had a fantastic time in Greenland!
19th August 2012

Winter Wonderland!
It may be summer there, but it looks like the most amazing winter! How great that you altered your plans and surprised yourselves with this fabulous adventure! You two really know how to take advantage of the best of wherever you travel. Doubt I'll make it to Greenland, so thanks for letting me visit vicariously.
19th August 2012

Ah Tara....but you must visit Greenland
It should be on everyone's short list. It was lovely. Thanks for writing. Good hearing from you.
19th August 2012

Wow !
This trip was beyond awesome, so much love for this blog entry. And yes, I wish I am as lucky as Brutus.
19th August 2012

Hello Aries and Rinka,
Thank you for your kind comments and great hearing from you again. Greenland was amazing. Brutus truly enjoyed himself.
19th August 2012

You make cold, ice, and even glaciers sound like fun!
I do hope you are gathering materials for a book. Your writing is fun- meaning you don't take yourselves too seriously and the pictures are wonderful. So good to follow along on your journey. Thanks, Carolyn ( gunga)
20th August 2012

IF we can't laugh at ourselves
Each trip will include unplanned events....like a lens flying toward the floor. No need to make ourselves miserable. Accidents happen in life. Onward we go. Having a marvelous time.
19th August 2012

Awesome!!
Your photos are truly awesome. What a trip....and you've just started. Can't wait for the next blog.
20th August 2012

Hey Sonja
You must go to Greenland. It is so fantastic!
20th August 2012

wow!
what an experience. i love the sound of the cabin at the ice camp. if they don't keep huskies as pets, what happens to retired working dogs? :( very much looking forward to your next post! :)
20th August 2012

Some questions should not be asked
Honestly I didn't like seeing the dogs on heavy chains but do understand they are working dogs and not pets. I didn't want to know about the old dogs as I' sure I know the answer. Doubt many of them live too long. The pups were adorable.
20th August 2012
View from Artic Hotel deck

pup and ice
beautiful photos! this is my one of my favourites :)
20th August 2012
View from Artic Hotel deck

We like that one also.
The pups have a good view.
20th August 2012

Love your blog...and sorry for the lens!
I know too how to prononce Illulissat....and yes, I slept on the ice on what is in summer...water...so fun to see the same place in the middle of the summer...I have to admit, we were not "that" cold last year back in March...well....this is clearly a wonderful blog...our week-end blog will look pretty boring in comparaison...well...as you say, we don't fly every week-end to Greenland just for the fun of it...
20th August 2012

Indeed you do!
Your blog was amazing....all that dog sledging and all. We loved Greenland!
20th August 2012

What a story! I thought you might have been the only TBers to visit Greenland...
so checked Greenland and found that an Australian couple, see Toppy, was just ahead of you! I hope you cross paths with them.
20th August 2012

Hi Bob,
Plus Through My Eyes was in Iceland at the same time. We hope to meet but we were off by one day. Such is life. We will take a look around for others. Thanks for keeping up with our travels.
20th August 2012

Absolutely stunning....
.....but the sight of all that ice is giving me goose bumps...brrrrrr....and what a language too! I think I now have an idea as to where the inspiration came from for all those intergalactic languages used in Star Wars :)
20th August 2012

The language felt like something out of Star Wars
An amazing place. It was cold on the boat but most of the time very comfortable.
20th August 2012
Huskie puppies roaming

Cute!
What cute little puppies! Greenland certainly does look amazing, glad you had someone with you who could lend you a lens, it would have been frustrating to not be able to take such good pictures! Stay warm!
20th August 2012
Huskie puppies roaming

Indeed the pups were adorable
It was cold on the boat but the rest of the time was very comfortable. We were stripping off clothes during the hike.
21st August 2012

Puppies
Those puppies were SO cute!! I guess dog sledding is environmentally friendly. I have heard that eskimos hunt whales and it look like you stayed in an igloo :-)
21st August 2012

We didn't stay in the igloo
They were available at our hotel but the prices were crazy....and the prices are crazy enough. Having a great time.
21st August 2012
View from Artic Hotel deck

BREATHTAKING
...and looks bloody cold!!!
22nd August 2012
View from Artic Hotel deck

Honestly not as cold as you would expect.
During the day it was at least 13, not bad at all.
21st August 2012

My favorite part
Of course - the Greenlandic vocab list. I love to see that you guys are practicing the local language! Great blog!
22nd August 2012

Wish you were with us
We could use your language skills. Fortunately, most of the people here speak 3 languages... or more.
26th August 2012

Same trip....
Hi guys Seems we did pretty much the same trip at pretty much the same time. Really enjoyed reading your take on Greenland and iceland. Interesting to see what other people are seeing! Happy travels Andrew Topp - south coast of New South Wales, Australia.
26th August 2012

Thanks for writing
I'm going to read your other blogs so we can get some ideas as we head to Denmark in a few days.
29th November 2012
Sunset at Eqi

Above the Arctic Circle in Ilulissat
The sunset over Eqi was fabulous! And being on Greenland you have motives that can't be seen anywhere else! For myself, my ambition is to present Norway and Norwegian nature to the world, thus I have been publishing hundreds of photos within the last two weeks and will continue to do so for months to come. If you care to take a peek, you're most welcome: http://www.seenorway.wordpress.com
9th December 2017

Ilulissat travel experience
Thank you for a very nice article of your Ilulissat travel. Much appreciate if you could advise me the name/email contact of the local agent (in Illulissat) that organised the trip to Eqi Glacier with overnight stay in Eqi Ice camp.
10th December 2017

Ilulissat travel experience
I used a local U.S. travel agent who has sense retired. I would think any vendor in Greenland could assist. It was an amazing experience.

Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 26; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0629s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb