Watson Lake, Yukon Territory


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Yukon
July 19th 2015
Published: July 19th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Welcome to the Yukon! We were up early and on the road again. This time we traveled 184 miles to Watson Lake. We had a couple of stops planned, and oh yes, more road construction and plenty of narrow mountain roads.

Our first stop was at the Liard Hot Springs. Jim decided to take a dip in their 120 degree springs. His comment as he entered the water was that it wasn't warm, it was HOT! I opted to take a few pictures instead of getting in. (Boy, you could smell the sulpher ... remember the old chemistry labs in high school?)

Back on the road, always looking for more wildlife. So far we have seen plenty, including black bears, mountain sheep, caribou, and today we came across many bison. So many in fact, that we couldn't even count them all. These guys were huge! We were able to slow down and take plenty of pictures.

After we arrived at our campsite, we had another travel meeting and a presentation on Welcome to the Yukon. Once that was done, we all traveled back into town to the Sign Forest. The Sign Forest began years ago when a GI who was working on the Alaska Highway made a sign of his hometown and nailed it up, also stating the miles he was from home. Today there are rows and rows of posts with signs attached. Our group hosts had made a sign to hang from the Winnebago Outdoor Andventures 2015. We also had made a (quickly made) sign to hang with Cuba City, Wi USA and our names on it. This place was so interesting as you walked through it and spotted signs from Wisconsin as well as many places we have traveled to. Our sign may not survive very long, but it was fun to hang. I took a few pictures of signs you might recognize.

Friday, Saturday and Sunday are being spent in Whitehorse. This is the capital of the Yukon. More on that next time .... Alaska is getting closer!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.374s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0735s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb