Day 51 - Camping in the middle of nowhere (bear country)


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Yukon
June 19th 2013
Published: June 21st 2013
Edit Blog Post

The journey today took us off the Alaskan Highway and onto the Klondike Highway. We were not sure we were going to go this way because we had heard rumors the roads were very bad. After talking to several of locals in Whitehorse that travel the road frequently we decided we might as well try it. Everyone we talked to said we must go this way as the scenery from Dawson City, Yukon to Chicken, Alaska (Top of the World Highway) is spectacular. The road thus far has not been too bad except for the potholes Joe got very good at dodging. A few construction point, which were dirt roads, so washing the trucks in Whitehorse was truly a waste of money. The wild flowers along the road are called Lupine and look just like out Texas blue bonnets but they are a different color. Tonight we are camped at a government park, so we'll see if we get any visitors like the last time we were in this kind of park. We are kind of hoping to see a bear, but not quite as close as the bison (buffalo) was in the last camp. We did see a bear along the road today munching on the variety of wild flowers. We had a great BBQ at our place tonight and even made Smores... Caroline provided the dinner music and gave me a lesson on the harp. It's harder than it looks!! Sunset tonight is 12:46 am with sunrise at 3:49 am. Solstice is on Thursday so we will be able to experience it. Hopefully we will be up celebrating the Spurs Championship win over the Heat that night also.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.213s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0773s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb