The Yukon Territory


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Yukon
June 28th 2009
Published: July 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Signpost ForestSignpost ForestSignpost Forest

Since we once lived in Plano, we thought this was photo-worthy. Not sure city fathers appreciate the sign pilfering, however.
On June 24, we entered the Yukon Territory in far northwestern Canada. We stopped overnight in Watson Lake, home of the famed Signpost Forest, where people traveling through from all over the world post a sign from their hometown. It’s fun to look for familiar and not-so-familiar places.

About this time, we thought it would be a good idea to install our “rock shield” on the front of Coco. We cooked up this brilliant idea last year when we were told it was likely our coach would take a beating from rocks being thrown up by passing trucks. We obtained a plastic cardboard and foam shield used when delivering new buses to Marathon Coach. (Many thanks to Fred and Betty, who hauled it from Oregon to Santa Fe.) Since it was stark white and pretty ugly, we thought we’d spruce it up a bit with a little spray paint. Well, the results are shown below……..and we’ve gotten a few stares and smiles along the way.

Speaking of rocks, while our shield is doing its job so far, our windshield has taken two pretty good rock chips—both of which have been repaired.

Next stop on our way to Alaska
Fort Worth StockyardsFort Worth StockyardsFort Worth Stockyards

We liked this one, too, since we've also been to Annapolis Royal in Nova Scotia
was Whitehorse, Territorial Capital of Yukon. Finally, we arrived in a decent-sized town! We ate the best fish and chips ever at the Klondike Rib and Salmon BBQ restaurant. We liked it so much, we went there twice. The fresh halibut pieces were each a foot long and prepared in a light beer-type batter. We shared pitchers of Yukon Gold and Arctic Red, two very good beers from the Yukon Brewing Company.

For our entertainment pleasure, we attended the Frantic Follies, a Yukon tradition. We were seated in the front row, and the MC asked Diane her hometown, then made a joke about it. All during the show, the performers used “Dallas, Texas” to many laughs. At least we didn’t have to get on stage like a few hapless audience members, who were embarrassed to say the least.

Before leaving the Yukon for the Alaska border, one other incident occurred. When we got our second rock chip, Diane suggested we pull over and put a piece of clear tape over it. At the time we were traveling with one other coach, Patti and Bill’s. Bill was in the lead, so he pulled into a rest area and we
Alaska Rocks!Alaska Rocks!Alaska Rocks!

Our tacky rock shield--but it works
followed. Well, we soon realized the rest area went right down to a lake with no easy turnaround for large coaches towing SUVs. In addition, the area was not level and had a huge pothole right in the middle, which we had to avoid so as not to bottom out. We both had to unhook in the rain; and all vehicles were coated with the messiest grit and road grime we’ve ever seen. What a mess! We took buckets of water from the lake and poured them over the tow assemblies, trying to clean them up a bit before we unhooked. We knew we’d have a good laugh about it later on.

On to the US Border!



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Yukon Territory SceneryYukon Territory Scenery
Yukon Territory Scenery

The Alaska Highway is a gorgeous drive
Yukon Brewing CoYukon Brewing Co
Yukon Brewing Co

"Beer worth freezing for" is their motto
Favorite Yukon RestaurantFavorite Yukon Restaurant
Favorite Yukon Restaurant

Their smoker smells so good just walking by
Can-Can Dancing Girls Can-Can Dancing Girls
Can-Can Dancing Girls

When in Whitehorse, go to the Follies
Cute CabinCute Cabin
Cute Cabin

On the same grounds as our Whitehorse RV Park
Largest "Gold" PanLargest "Gold" Pan
Largest "Gold" Pan

Taken near Destruction Bay, a VERY remote area on the Alaska Highway
The Unhooking FiascoThe Unhooking Fiasco
The Unhooking Fiasco

The car and coach were stuck together at an awful angle, making it a real challenge to get them apart. What you can't see is the front of the coach inches from the lake shore.


7th July 2009

Thanks!
Wonderful to hear of your adventures and see the photos. Enjoyed seeing the family at Katy's graduation party. Your piano is in good condition!

Tot: 0.227s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 18; qc: 79; dbt: 0.1048s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb