Alaska - Day 7


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Yukon » Whitehorse
June 30th 2017
Published: June 30th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Day 7 – Travel Day to Whitehorse

Today was a travel day, mostly riding from Dawson City in the Yukon Territory to Whitehorse.

Lots of pretty scenery along the way, a couple of stops for comfort stations. We had lunch at a campground, that is setup for bus tours. The native Indians run it, and I don’t remember their tribal name. They are called “First Nations” here, instead of Native American Indians. The food was a choice of soups, salad, dessert and tea or water.

This road is desolate. If you break down, there is no cell service, and it could be days before someone tells someone about your car in the ditch. Traffic is very light on this road. We saw a car in the ditch, and the bus driver said it had been there 3 weeks. Getting a wrecker to come get you also is a trick. We may have passed through a half dozen towns, none with any major services. 390+ miles between Dawson City and Whitehorse.

We got to the hotel around 6:30PM. We need to be up and bags out for pickup at 6:45 in the morning, and begin our trip to
Fireweed FlowerFireweed FlowerFireweed Flower

The flower of the Yukon Province. They are just starting now, and will be all over the place next month. The flower blooms from the bottom to the top. You can see the top skinny part, they will eventually bloom and look like the bottom. When the last bloom falls, it is said to predict the first snow 3 weeks later.
Skagway, Alaska.



To be Continued…


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

A rest stop with indoor plumbing.A rest stop with indoor plumbing.
A rest stop with indoor plumbing.

They also had a lot of older equipment in the yard.
Our driver for the next two days.Our driver for the next two days.
Our driver for the next two days.

She is kind of new to the company, but is a great driver.
Indoor for lunch at the First Nations bus stop.Indoor for lunch at the First Nations bus stop.
Indoor for lunch at the First Nations bus stop.

This is the inside of the stop and camp ground that the First Nations people run. Great cooks, and they grow most of what they cook.
Enjoying the view.Enjoying the view.
Enjoying the view.

One of our new friends from Nebraska. She and her husband are traveling with their 4 children, a girl and 3 boys, the youngest is 14 I think, and the oldest is perhaps 21.
The Yukon at Five Fingers RapidsThe Yukon at Five Fingers Rapids
The Yukon at Five Fingers Rapids

A dangerous spot when paddlewheelers had to come through here.
A comfort station.A comfort station.
A comfort station.

We call them out houses, but here they are called "long drops". Someone on the bus asked how they got that name, and they were serious.
They have fresh baked Cinnamon rolls.They have fresh baked Cinnamon rolls.
They have fresh baked Cinnamon rolls.

I'd say it is Texas sized, but more like Alaska sized. Those are our 8 oz coffee cups.
Braeburn Braeburn
Braeburn

This is one of our rest stops on the way to Whitehorse. It is also the first or last stop on the Yukon Quest, a dog sled race from Whitehorse to Fairbanks. This is the route. One year they go from South to North, another North to South.
The Braeburn stop.The Braeburn stop.
The Braeburn stop.

There is a gravel runway for small planes across the street from the Braeburn stop. The airport is called Cinnabun.


Tot: 0.255s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0697s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb