Whitehorse


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Yukon » Whitehorse
July 23rd 2013
Published: July 23rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Arrived in Whitehorse on Saturday afternoon and spent it in town riding the trolley, learning about the town. Was a nice break after our drive. Stopped by the White Pass/Yukon railway station and picked up our tickets to ride the narrow gauge railway through the White Pass - should be a great day.

The day started out with rain (it seems to be following us) and took a tour bus to the station at Fraser B.C. On the way we stopped at a small community called Carcross (short for Caribou Crossing) - very unique place. Then onto the station. On the way we did see 2 small bears (a nice cinnamon colored black bear and a small grizzly)

We boarded the train and started the uphill climb to the summit (3000 ft) and then descend into Skagway. The tracks hug the mountain for a good portion of the ride but it is truly and experience of a lifetime. To think that manual labor build this track more than 100 years ago.

In one day we travelled through the Yukon to B.C. and then to Alaska and back again and saw some amazing scenery.

Spent today just touring around Whitehorse - saw a few sites and then got things ready to leave in the morning. Off to B.C. tomorrow hopefully.



(More photos to come. Restricted on how much I can upload) Please enjoy these photos what an extraordinary trip to Skagway.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



28th July 2013

Trip
Wow, guys! So glad that you went on this trip. You only get one chance at this life, as you well know. I look forward to seeing your pics and hearing your tales.

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0454s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb