A Day Off In Whitehorse


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Yukon » Whitehorse
May 26th 2008
Published: May 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Our day off started at 6 am. We were at the Yukon Honda at 8:15 inquiring if we could get an oil and filter change without an appointment. Matthew the Service Manager was very accommodating and fit us in within 2 hours while we waited. Next the grocery store for a few supplies and the liquor store for beer for Dave. Back to the campsite for lunch and laundry, which took awhile. Seems some loonies clog the drain on the washer and after two 30 minutes cycles in that machine, we needed to move the wet clothes to another.

It was actually nice to do chores for a change rather than driving. The crystal blues skies and temps in the mid-70’s once again today, charged our batteries. We took a lovely drive in the afternoon and found the fish ladder around the Yukon Dam and then Schwatka Lake and Miles Canyons, quite by accident, along the other side of the Yukon River. The lake is lined with small seaplanes that provide charter flights for fishing trips, flight seeing and transportation.

Having no electricity and our power pack not making enough power to watch a movie, we spent the night playing cribbage in our living room. We had a couple pull in next to us on a motorcycle pulling a small trailer. That small trailer turned out to be a tent camper which was pretty cute. They slept up off the ground in the back half and had standing room in the front half to change, etc. The sun is setting after we are in bed and rising before we get up, perhaps around 5 am. We are still heading further north and will report from the Arctic Circle, but we are thankful we are not going to be there for the summer solstice.

(Note: I forgot to add pictures for the Sign Post Forest in Watson Lake. It is what Watson Lake is most famous for. A home-sick soldier in 1942 put up a sign to remind him of home and now there are over 10,000 signs that people bring from all over the world and nail to posts there. It is pretty awesome, especially when I read that the same soldier who started it returned 50 years later to see what had become of this little monument. If you want to see the pictures hit previous entry
Dave reading outside tentDave reading outside tentDave reading outside tent

Really he is reading - not napping!
and they are now there.)





Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.231s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 23; qc: 95; dbt: 0.1232s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb