15 June, 2010 Tok, AK to Haines Junction, YT


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Yukon » Haines Junction
June 15th 2010
Published: June 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday,

Really nice weather today, though really windy this afternoon. Finally got to see some wildlife today - - one coyote, several swans, including two adults that we saw on the way up with 4 signets that hatched since we came by on the way up, and bright iridescent blue dragon flies. The coyote was a female that had obviously just had a litter - - she was on the road begging for a handout. We also had really nice vistas of high mountains in the distance - - tough to get good pictures, but we tried.

We had several delays due to construction and one stretch when we had to follow a motor grader doing ALMOST 5 mph for a couple miles (seemed more like 5 miles!) At one of the construction sites in the US, just before we crossed into Canada, there was a long section of overhead wires on telephone poles that had been set in unstable soil - - they were at all angles and some had sunk into the ground so they were only about 8 feet out of the ground.

When we got to the campground we planned to stay in, we found it almost full - - we got two of the last 4 available slots. There is a caravan of rented motorhomes (all alike!) being driven by folks from several different countries. When I set up our trailer, I found that the lower door is crooked in the opening. Upon investigation, I found that we have one broken outrigger support weld and another outrigger bent. The road was really rough today! So - - - - tomorrow I’ll tow it up the road a couple blocks to a welder to see if I can get it fixed. Hopefully, it won’t take all day.



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



16th June 2010

Thanks
Appreciate your sharing your thoughts and travel. I would like to return to AK. Been ten years.

Tot: 0.207s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1077s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb