Summer 2013


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Saskatchewan » Saskatoon
July 20th 2013
Published: August 11th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Still Winter???Still Winter???Still Winter???

What's with this? Winter was supposed to be gone by now, but look at the huge snowbanks in our front yard
Check the bottom of the page for more photos. Many people are not realizing there are MANY more pictures than what is visible with the written portion!

After leaving Cuba on March 26th, we spent a few days in Mexico City unwinding and getting back in touch with the rest of the world. On March 30th, we flew from DF via Houston.....Toronto and finally arrived HOME at midnight. Kristen and Brett greeted us at the airport and drove us back to our home. It was astounding to see the snowbanks remaining; our front lawn was still under 5 feet of snow and huge snowbanks were everywhere.

Next morning, Easter Sunday, we made our way to Langham to attend our grandchild Tai's baptism. Following the local tradition, the extended family was invited to attend, and after the ceremony, we gathered to enjoy Easter lunch with many of Linda's family. What a wonderful welcome it was! Tai's baptism gathering was the perfect opportunity for us to reconnect with many of Linda's family. It was then that we realized that we had celebrated Palm Sunday in a church in Cuba, Good Friday at the local cathedral near our old apartment in Mexico
Easter Sunday BaptismEaster Sunday BaptismEaster Sunday Baptism

Tai Alec was baptized in the Langham United Church on Easter Sunday. Many of Linda's family came to celebrate, and it gave us an opportunity to visit with family
City, and Easter Sunday in church in Langham, Saskatchewan! Sunday afternoon we entertained friends at home and ended our first day home relaxing with Luc and Colette in their hot-tub.

We spent Easter week at home in Saskatoon, and were thrilled to have Leslie's 3 children as well as Saydi, Marc's daughter join us. We were able to take in the wave pool, the forestry farm and other local attractions to keep our grand children occupied. Thursday, we headed out to Tyler's farm where the kids enjoyed climbing on the huge snowbanks in the yard, and playing with the animals. Friday, the parents picked up the grandchildren, Linda returned to Saskatoon and Maurice stayed at the farm to give Tyler and Kim a hand with calving.

It was the beginning of the calving season for Tyler and Kim, and they had 360 cows to feed and care for. Northwest Saskatchewan had an unusually bitter winter, the longest, coldest and the greatest snow accumulation ever in recorded history. Winter began in mid October, and wouldn't relinquish its hold until May. After a particularly evil March storm, Edam was even declared a disaster zone and bulldozers were brought in to
Cory, Vicki and TaiCory, Vicki and TaiCory, Vicki and Tai

Reverend Michelle christens Tai Alec Popoff.
unblock the roads. Imagine trying to calve in these conditions. Feed was hard to find and difficult to transport, the snow was deep, and the nights were cold. Tyler normally had a 30 acre calving pasture, but this spring two-thirds of it was under 4 feet of snow and the rear maternity pen wasn't even accessible. We were kept hopping from morning until late in the evening feeding, checking, nursing, and trying to keep up with the many daily requirements of that many cattle. The local veterinarians shared that all the cattlemen in the area were reporting the same problems and were struggling.

Sunday April 14th, we celebrated Bennett's 2nd birthday by gathering in the Vawn hall, and spent a wonderful afternoon with family and friends before heading back to Saskatoon for appointments the following week.

Maurice was able to complete his appointments and headed back to the farm and assist with the ongoing calving adventures. At the farm, they fought the snow and the mud trying to get feed home from the fields. The cows calving also proved to be a challenge, and they were kept busy trying to make sure mothers took their own babies and
The boys at work!The boys at work!The boys at work!

Grandpa's not sure if this is work or play! We had so much fun together.
not their neighbors. This is not usually such a problem, but this year, because there was so much snow they were very crowded. About this time, a cow in the maternity pen jumped, the chain flew off the swinging gate and hit Maurice on the side of the face, knocking him to the ground. A wild cow in an 8 foot by 8 foot enclosure meant that he had to spring back to his feet immediately while spitting teeth! Luckily, it was a bridge that smashed, he was able to get it replaced 2 months later but he sported a black eye for some time after. Life on the Farm!

Linda spent time with her parents, tending Tai and reconnected with friends for the remainder of the week while Maurice was at the farm. We celebrated our 3rd Wedding Anniversary on April 24th in Saskatoon. On April 25th Linda's parents informed us that they would not move to a smaller place. They wanted to stay in their home and would seek assistance with the everyday chores. We supported their decision and encouraged them to put in place the people that they would need to assist them.

Maurice headed
Sunshine at the Forestry FarmSunshine at the Forestry FarmSunshine at the Forestry Farm

Cool shades Gracie, Easton, Saydi and Linda!
back to the farm while Linda stayed in Saskatoon to shovel the snow that never seemed to stop falling. April 30th........still cold! Once again the snow got shoveled off the driveway and then we spread the huge piles on the front and back lawns. Tai lifted our spirits whenever we had a chance to watch him for Cory and Vicki.

May 2nd, we attended the Charlie Pride concert with Linda's folks. They dined at our home and we then drove them to the concert. Despite being 75 years old, Charlie put on a lively show and only forgot the words to a song once. And, he performed for a couple of hours and sang many, many songs. We had a chance to head up to Marc's a few times and give him a hand with cleaning, packing and storing some of their stuff. Marc has rented out the farmyard and decided to move into his house in Livelong.

Maurice returned from the farm for his birthday so we cleaned out the garage and held our first garage party of the year! We invited around 40 friends and family to join us for a BBQ and spent a wonderful
Good Morning SunshineGood Morning SunshineGood Morning Sunshine

Gracie, Easton and Saydi cuddle
afternoon and evening visiting with those we love. We attended Lorna's 60th shindig in North Battleford. And on Mother's Day we were able to stop in North Battleford and then in Langham to see both of our Moms. We are blessed to still have them both alive. On a couple of other occasions time was spent time tearing bush piles apart on Maurice's land. Linda was unable to lift rocks like in the old days but was helpful with throwing branches on top of the piles for burning. Maurice was able to put the tractor to good use picking and moving large rocks, when spreading the burnt piles and leveling the ground. He was able to reclaim 5 or 6 acres as a result.

Linda drove a shuttle bus at the university for a week and a school bus on and off until the end of June. Tai, grandpa and grandma got to hang out from time to time until the end of June. We visited often with Linda's parents in Langham, with friends, and even tried to get a balloon ride in. We were up early, and waiting at the Archibald arena field one fine June morning. It
Our BriarOur BriarOur Briar

Briar, our New Year's baby is our newest and 8th grandchild. The boys and girls are tied at 4 apiece!
took nearly an hour to blow up the balloon, and finally, eight of us climbed in and the pilot lifted off. We rose into the clear blue sky just as a breeze came up, and we rapidly drifted northeast. Suddenly, the pilot said we had to land because a fog bank was coming in, and he put us down in a construction zone on the edge of the city. Because our ride was so brief, he said we would be given another ride, and so we toasted our safe landing with the traditional glass of champagne and were home by 8AM. We will try again next year!

On Saturday June 29th, we loaded the truck with supplies and drove out to the farm where the camper was. Colette, being at loose ends because Luc was working in Russia, decided to join us there. On Monday, we hooked up the trailer and headed to the Battlefords Provincial Park and settled into the center campground. We then drove to Cochin to meet Brian and picked up Leslie's 3 children and returned to the campground. Marc and Holly joined us for supper, and at the end of the evening, left Saydi with
3 of the girls3 of the girls3 of the girls

This feeding thing is complicated!!
us as well. It was a little crowded with all of us in the camper, however, Colette had to return to Saskatoon on Tuesday and the rest of us settled into a routine. And then for a special treat! On Wednesday Aaron and his friend Delphine joined us for the rest of the week. We were fortunate to have a huge campsite. We had lots of room for everything and everyone. We spent the rest of the week enjoying fantastic weather. The weather allowed us to be at the beach every day, swimming, sunning, and playing in the sand. Luckily for us, Aaron had a boat, and we were treated to rides, tubing, and skiing. Sawyer tried a little skiing, he got up but didn't last. Every day, the weather was gorgeous and we had so much fun with those four children, Aaron and Delphine as well! Those four little ones provided us with as Linda repeatedly said "hours and hours of free entertainment!". We cherish the memories!!! They include Gracie laughing so hard when Grandpa carried Saydi like a football to the bathroom and her being the first to enter the lake every day, Sawyer trying to learn how
Four on the FenceFour on the FenceFour on the Fence

Bennett's so sad, he just can't quite grab the bars and climb like the others...yet!
to waterski and his easy going tolerant attitude to whatever was happening around him, Easton cuddled up to Grandma and being the chief fire starter, and Saydi collecting her pet bugs and her "Sports Illustrated" swimsuit poses on the beach and so many other wonderful memories and priceless moments!

We ended the week by celebrating Maurice's father Alfred's 96th birthday at Pierre and Rob's cabin at Cochin. We were fortunate that some 50 immediate family members gathered. We spent the afternoon and evening in pleasant and cheerful chaos. We left the lake and returned to Saskatoon with Leslie's 3 children and spent the night. We repacked in the morning and once again hit the road. With the 3 grandchildren filling the rear seat of our little Ford Focus, we traveled to Marshall and spent the night with Leslie. On Monday we left for Smithers, B.C., and arrived on Tuesday afternoon after spending the night in Prince George. Jack, Linda's brother, welcomed us warmly. We spent the next few days visiting with Jack, reconnecting with his two boys Eric and Justin, visiting and touring the local sites. Friday, we headed for home, however, we had a blowout just as we
Grandma's got her hands Full!Grandma's got her hands Full!Grandma's got her hands Full!

Only 4 showing but there were 6 this time!
crossed the B.C. border, and limped into Jasper on the spare and spent the night there. Next morning, we were unable to get new tires in Jasper and so continued on to Edson. There we would have had to wait most of the day, so we switched the spare to the rear and continued on to Edmonton and bought a set of tires at Costco there. We then spent Saturday night at Maurice's brother Pierre's home just north of Edmonton. We enjoyed hanging out with Rob and Pierre and the 5 children living in their home. Sunday, July 14th, we stopped at Linda's parents in Langham for supper and were back in Saskatoon late in the day.

We spent the following 2 weeks visiting with friends and family in Saskatoon and preparing to leave Canada. We were fortunate to be able to spend time with Linda's parents and help out whenever we could. Alec, Linda's father, spent a week in hospital with heart issues at the end of June so it was nice for us to be able to assist them a bit. We held a farewell party on the last Sunday of July at home and were so
Grandpa's RelaxedGrandpa's RelaxedGrandpa's Relaxed

Nothing to it!
pleased to see many of our friends and family once more before leaving Canada!

AND..............on July 31st, Marty drove us to the airport, and we left for Kaohsiung, Taiwan!!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 51, Displayed: 30


Advertisement

Snowbanks on April 6th!Snowbanks on April 6th!
Snowbanks on April 6th!

Kids love playing on these huge banks Tyler pushed up in his yard
Feeding CowsFeeding Cows
Feeding Cows

Not like it used to be, we now stay much warmer than we used to when feeding
Moms and BabiesMoms and Babies
Moms and Babies

Because of all the snow, the cows were crowded this year.
Easier to lead than to pushEasier to lead than to push
Easier to lead than to push

This little guys mother ran on ahead to eat, so he decided to follow Bennet!
3 Generations on the Farm3 Generations on the Farm
3 Generations on the Farm

Ok, now we know what's next on the "needs to be done " list
Happy 2nd Birthday, BennettHappy 2nd Birthday, Bennett
Happy 2nd Birthday, Bennett

We gathered in the Vawn Hall to celebrate
Grandma, Bennett, Saydi and GracieGrandma, Bennett, Saydi and Gracie
Grandma, Bennett, Saydi and Gracie

We had lunch and enjoyed cake, games and gifts
April 16th, SNOWApril 16th, SNOW
April 16th, SNOW

We have good neighbors, Rick came over and insisted I take a break!
Grandchildren at the Forestry FarmGrandchildren at the Forestry Farm
Grandchildren at the Forestry Farm

What a wonderful way to spend an afternoon. Many of the animals were visible on this beautiful spring day
Boys will be BoysBoys will be Boys
Boys will be Boys

Last chance to play in the snow, and so it should be...... it's the end of April


Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 35; dbt: 0.0505s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb