ENTRY 58 — War of 1812: Canadian Bicentennial Travels


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Quebec » Waterloo
February 15th 2015
Saved: September 6th 2022
Edit Blog Post

ENTRY 58 War of 1812 (1812–1815)





The War of 1812 was a conflict fought between Canada and the United States (along with their respective allies). With the majority of the British military fighting Napoleon in Europe, Upper and Lower Canada looked defenceless. America believed their conquest would “be a mere matter of marching” as the population was largely American born and the colonies had little defence capability. On June 1, 1812 the United States declared war.

However, the American President was overconfident and greatly underestimated his intended victims. Our rapid advance on Fort Mackinac caught the Yanks off guard (the fort had not even been notified that they were at war). About 600 Aboriginal and Canadian solders landed on the night of July 17, 1812. We placed artillery on the high ground above the fort and knowing that the American soldiers were clueless about the "state of war", demanded their surrender; the American commander complied. This victory, gave us control of the Northwest and left the President Madison stunned!

The commander of Fort Mackinac was taken to Detroit and charged with cowardice. Before the court martial could begin, a cannonball ripped through the
Infrastructure across Upper Canada was important re troop movements, supply lines, etc.Infrastructure across Upper Canada was important re troop movements, supply lines, etc.Infrastructure across Upper Canada was important re troop movements, supply lines, etc.

Gotta read that sign: Miranda reads the plaque and has to study every word!
room where the coward was standing, cutting him in half; Detroit was now under attack! The great
">Shawnee Chief Tecumseh knowing that the Americans were terrified of Indians, marched his warriors in circles making as much noise as possible around the fort, which made it appear that there were many thousands "of bloodthirsty savages" about to ravage the fort. Then Chief Tecumseh and Sir Issac Brock audaciously demanded that the commander of Detroit surrender, which the general ( who was now drunk) did on August 16th, in effect giving the us control of the northern Mississippi and Michigan.

The Americans suffered another humiliating defeat at Queenston Heights after their militia (terrified of Tecumseh) refused to cross into Canada, citing the constitutional guarantee that it would not have to fight on foreign soil. Having lost one army at Mackinac, another at Detroit, and a third at Queenston Heights; the Americans were again badly defeated at Frenchtown (January 1813). Further plans of invasion were hastily discarded. The only enemy soldiers in Canada in the winter of 1813 were prisoners of war.


Niagara



There were many events being planned to celebrate the Bicentennial. Miranda and I thought it would be a good
No doubt left hereNo doubt left hereNo doubt left here

Miranda poses with a strongly worded sign!
time to explore "Upper and Lower Canada". Of all the places we traveled one of the most beautiful was Niagara on the Lake. It is an area that has a unique feel about it; great wines, stunning vistas, and many memorials to our Canadian Heritage. We found the Prince of Wales Hotel to be both historic and luxurious. Miranda and I went on a tour that explored the town's history. We spent another day exploring Fort George; this outpost served as the headquarters for the Colonial Army under General Sir Isaac Brock during the War of 1812. Our forces included First Nations warriors, regulars, local militia, and freed slaves. (My great great grandfather was a regular in HMAF; settling in Canada after the war). From Fort George we traveled along the Niagara River viewing historic sites along the way.

Julie and Kendra joined us (K was our designated driver), so it became something of a wine-tasting tour. This area is the birthplace of Canada’s world class wine industry. The Niagara region blends rural pleasures with former glory; traditional food paired with extraordinary vintage wines. We found each winery had its own unique story and as we explored the many
Prince of Wales Hotel, Niagara on the LakePrince of Wales Hotel, Niagara on the LakePrince of Wales Hotel, Niagara on the Lake

This historic three storey hotel went by several names: Long's Hotel, Arcade Hotel and Niagara House. It received its present name in 1901 after a stay by their royal Highnesses The Prince and Princess of Wales.
wineries we found friendly staff, beautiful vineyards and relaxed tasting rooms . There were some very old rare vintages. By the time we reached Niagara Falls we all had a healthy afterglow from the wine tasting!

To commemorate the War of 1812, the residents of Niagara Falls set up a special task force to renovate the Niagara Falls History Museum for the Bicentennial. The museum showed the War was a defining moment for our Canadian identity. After a few more days of exploring Niagara, Miranda and I also mustered up the courage to cross over into enemy territory.

Winning the battle; but losing the war!



By the spring of 1813, notwithstanding our string of
">victories, the people of Upper and Lower Canada knew they were in trouble. We were greatly outnumbered as President Madison assembled a massive invasion force! (Remember, much of our population were American expats with little or no loyalty; a large fifth column within our borders.) However the brutal excesses of the American army did the impossible; they united English, French, former American slaves, First Nations, even American expats into one nation. Madison did not know it yet, but he had lost the war.
Historic Building.Historic Building.Historic Building.

Bryan basks in the beautiful sunshine.

Miranda and on continued on our Bicentennial tour: Lundy's Lane, Beaver Dams, Stoney Creek, and onto Burlington. Here we visited historic Dundurn Castle and Burlington Heights. In 1813 things were not going well for Upper Canada. Being pursued by a much larger American force, our army had retreated to Burlington Heights. The Americans reached Stoney Creek on June 5th, 1813 and settled down for the night. A local 19-year-old civilian, Billy Green, traveled swiftly to Burlington Heights to warn Colonel John Harvey what was happening. It was decided to strike immediately. The night attack was only feasible because Billy was a very experienced woodsman who knew the area well. About 700 regulars defeated the American invasion force of 3500. During the 40-minute surprise attack the Americans ran for their lives. We captured two American Generals and substantial field artillery.


African Lion Safari



Needing a break from all the history, Miranda and I took a day trip to African Lion Safari. The safari is home to more than 1,000 animals from across the world who roam freely on a massive reserve (740 acres). We boarded a Safari vehicle and were amazed at how close the animals came to us. The Nairobi
Niagara on the LakeNiagara on the LakeNiagara on the Lake

After seeing all the historic sties Miranda takes a break.
Sanctuary brought back memories of our days in Africa; great care was taken to recreate the African landscape. It was like stepping into another world. The only difference: we saw more animals here than we did back in Kenya.

After lunch we set sail on the “African Queen” which took us on a Water Safari. The captain got us in and out of some interesting places as we explored several remote islands. I spotted a Ring-tailed lemur, above us in the thick tropical vegetation, Miranda saw a gibbon and a siamang. The most unsettling part of our adventure was a visit by the spider monkey.

After being returned to dry land Miranda had to use the ladies room. I was sitting patiently on a park bench, when a group of young school children approached. One five year old girl said, "Look, there's Santa." (Their teacher laughed.)

A little boy said, "You don't know nothing! Santa Clause wears red ... not black."

The girl replied, "You don't know anything . . . Santa and Mounties only wear red when they are on duty!"


Toronto



Miranda and I continued our leisurely travels across Ontario to York.
Fort GeorgeFort GeorgeFort George

Fort George consists of a stone powder magazine, administrative offices, blockhouses to accommodate soldiers, and officer’s quarters.
The City of York (now Toronto), is the capital of the province. It is also where the battle of Battle of York was fought on April 27, 1813. Today it is Canada's largest city and is an international hub of finance, communications, business, arts, culture, etc. It is recognized as one of the world’s most cosmopolitan and multicultural cities.

Our first stop was to Toronto’s most prominent attraction: the CN Tower. It is the tallest free-standing structure in the western hemisphere. Designated as one of the Seven Wonders of the Modern World, this engineering marvel is also known for fine dining. As we ate our meal the restaurant atop the tower was slowly revolved giving us an extraordinary view of southern Ontario! And of course after dinner everyone went for an evening stroll on outside ledge of the tower…the ‘EdgeWalk’.

Miranda was taken with the Royal Ontario Museum. She explored the extensive galleries of art, archaeology and natural science and had to see everyone of the six million objects awaiting her careful examination! I on the other hand enjoyed the nightlife. We both had fun on our scenic ferry ride to the Toronto Islands.


Kingston



At the Battle of York,
Fort GeorgeFort GeorgeFort George

This shows the layout of the fort which was made of strategic earthworks and palisades (walls constructed from wooden stakes).
the forces of Upper Canada consisted of 100 Ojibway warriors along with 300 regulars and 300 militia. We faced an American invasion force of over 1,700 regulars accompanied by 14 armed vessels. As the City of York had little military or strategic importance, the decision was made to retreat to Kingston. Fort Henry was located here and guarded the outlet to the St Lawrence River along with the Navy Yards. Throughout the war, Kingston remained impenetrable and was home to HMS Royal George a British 20-gun wooden sloop of the Provincial Marine, operating on Lake Ontario. This ship scored many victories which made the Americans even more determined to see her destroyed.

An American fleet of seven vessels under the command of Commodore Chauncey surprised Royal George as it passed near the Bay of Quinte on Lake Ontario. The Royal George eluded the American Ships by slipping into the North Channel between the mainland and Amherst Island. She then make her way back to the safety of Kingston Harbor. The following morning, (November 10th), the American fleet resumed the pursuit. As they approached Kingston, they came under fire from Canadian shore batteries; the Yanks failed to capture Royal George but intended
Fort George.Fort George.Fort George.

Miranda reads the plaque: she has to study every word!
to resume their attack the next day. However, an approaching storm forced the American fleet to flee.



Miranda and I continued to make our way east to Kingston, a city known for its striking 19th-century limestone buildings and architecture. Kingston was originally settled in 1673 as Fort Frontenac; it also was the first capital of Canada. We visited historic sites, numerous churches, old buildings, scenic neighborhoods, and 19th-century fortifications. We also visited the prison. Finally it should be noted that the city is home to two major universities: Royal Military College and Queen's University.

We had great fun as Kingston is an ideal place for exploring. Our only disappointment was that we missed a reenactment of ‘The flight of the Royal George' complete with five tall ships, 10 gunboats and 24 regiments. It was the biggest War of 1812 re-enactment of the Bicentennial.


Montreal considers Evacuation



The other military theater of operations was Lower Canada (now the Province of Quebec). A massive American invasion force was slowly being assembled south of Montreal on Lake Champlain. Seven thousand men left Plattsburgh, in the middle November heading towards our border. In Lower Canada, Major De Salaberry of the Canadian Voltigeurs
Niagara on the LakeNiagara on the LakeNiagara on the Lake

If you look closely you can see the enemy fortifications in the background on the other side of the water.
was preparing to meet the Yankee invaders and stop Montreal from falling into enemy hands. This French Canadian Commander had only a few hundred men from his regiment plus three hundred Mohawk warriors from Kahnawake.

Many Montrealers were considering evacuation as the massive invasion force advanced. However when the American army arrived at the Canadian border, half the militia refused to cross the border into Canada. Notwithstanding, the remaining US soldiers continued to advance toward our fortifications. The Americans filed quickly into the frigid waters of the Lacolle River making ready for their surprise attack. However the Kahnawake Warriors and French militia knew what was happening and stealthily evacuated their encampment.

Half the American troops moved in on the northern perimeter of the (now deserted) encampment, while the other half moved to close the trap by pushing in from the south. Visibility was hampered by the darkness of the surrounding woods, although there were fires burning. The Yanks rapidly entered the barrack huts with fixed bayonets expecting to slaughter the Canadians in their sleep.

Now, when the Yanks realized they had been duped they started exiting the huts. However, the other force thought that they were Canadians
Great place for a coffeeGreat place for a coffeeGreat place for a coffee

Bryan and Miranda's favourite coffee shop.
and opened fire. In response, there was return fire and a deadly exchange of 'friendly-fire' took place. The Kahnawake warriors took full advantage of the American folly. From the surrounding woods they made it appear that over 500 warriors were also attacking. Then all the Americans ran away with the Indian war cry ringing in their ears. Soldiers threw away their muskets and pikes so they could run faster. Some of the prisoners taken were fellow Americans! The Montreal Herald named the American misfortune “The Suicidal Battle of River Lacolle." During the course of the War of 1812, Madison would make several more attempts at taking Montreal but was never successful.



Miranda and I traveled first to Ottawa where there were a number Bicentennial events, then continued along the Ottawa River to Montreal. Located at the confluence of the St. Lawrence and Ottawa rivers Montreal had strategic importance in 1812. It was and is a major commercial, industrial, and financial center. La Grand Ville is the most beautiful city in North America and enjoys international acclaim. It was originally named Ville-Marie, or "Village of Mary” and later changed to Montreal (ie Mount Royal) then Anglicized to ‘MUN-tree-ALL’.
Niagara RiverNiagara RiverNiagara River

American forces crossed the Niagara River into Canada on October 12th, 1812.
Montreal is ranked the 12th most liveable city in the world but it is the number 1 place to be a university student (see QS World University Rankings).

Montreal kept us busy: Mount Royal Park, Old Montreal, St. Joseph's Oratory, La Ronde amusement park, Museum of Fine Arts, Planetarium Rio Tinto Alcan, La Ronde amusement park, Museum of Fine Arts, Old Port of Montreal, St. Joseph's Oratory and the Botanical Gardens but for us the highlight of our stay was our boat trip up the St Lawerence.

My Godson Keith booked us on this 5-hour dinner cruise along the Saint Lawrence River. First we sipped wine on the open-air terrace under a moonlit sky. Then we went down to the elegant glass-enclosed dining room. We dined on a delicious 5-course meal taking in the view of Montreal and the surrounding islands. The onboard wine-steward was kept busy. There was also great entertainment.

From Montreal we went to Mount Bruno on the South Shore. There we stayed with friends. All in all we had a great time.


The Treaty of Ghent



On June 2nd, 1814, Sir George Prevost, Governor General of Canada, wrote to Admiralty
Floral Clock at Queenston Heights.Floral Clock at Queenston Heights.Floral Clock at Queenston Heights.

It was here that volleys of fire and a Canadian charge with bayonets took the American forces by surprise. A US Lieutenant Colonel took charge from the wounded commander. He waved a white hankie to signal the American surrender.
House instructing that there be retaliation against the United States of America for violating the laws of war. By late August a bold strategy was agreed upon: capture the U.S. capital and burn it. It was a brilliant plan as very little had been done to defend Washington in case of attack. The Royal Navy sailed up the Patuxent River then marched 4500 men toward the capital. President Madison came up with an interesting strategy for defending his capital…run away.

The American troops, along with Madison and his administration took flight at Bladensburg. The Yanks ran so very fast that in Canada the it was nicknamed the battle of the "Bladensburg Races." Dolly Madison fled with the silver in her reticule, her slaves and other valuables. Meanwhile the door-keeper, Jean Pierre Sioussat (a Frenchman), and the President's gardener, took down the portrait of George Washington and saved it. The speed at which the White House was deserted was truly amazing. When Rear Admiral Cockburn and his men did arrive, they ate up the very dinner that had been prepared for the President's party. The next day they torched the US Treasury Building, the Capitol Building, the Presidential Mansion; indeed
Niagara Falls, OntarioNiagara Falls, OntarioNiagara Falls, Ontario

Miranda takes in the full power of the Falls!
only the US Patent Office was spared by Cockburn during the burning of Washington.

When Cockburn entered the building of the National Intelligencer Newspaper, several women begged him not burn it because they were afraid the fire would spread to their homes. He ordered the building torn down brick by brick, and all the "C" type destroyed so that the rascals had no further means of abusing the good name of Canada or Cockburn.

“Madison’s War” was not going well for the United States. The Yanks were now actually losing territory to Canada. The town of Castine and most of eastern Maine were lost. New England was even threatening secession from the Union. At sea, trade was cut off! The Royal Navy was now blockading American ports and raiding the coast at will. The American military effort also suffered from the war’s unpopularity as anti-war speakers were becoming more vocal. Furthermore Madison was having great difficulty financing his war; bringing the United States government to near bankruptcy.

However the greatest single factor in sealing the fate of Madison and the Federal Party was the defeat of Napoleon. It has been likened to Madison as a little boy
Niagara Falls, OntarioNiagara Falls, OntarioNiagara Falls, Ontario

The 'Maid of the Mist' took us through the Falls
poking a bear cub, pulling its tail and kicking it, when he looks up and sees Mama Bear! Madison now faced the full might of the British Empire. With his hope for conquest and glory dashed, the American President sued for peace and the Treaty of Ghent was eventually signed.

">Ballad of 1812 Canadian Edition

Old Photos


Additional photos below
Photos: 44, Displayed: 33


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom

Niagara FallsNiagara Falls
Niagara Falls
From behind enemy lines.From behind enemy lines.
From behind enemy lines.

A picture of Miranda in the United States with Canada in the background; Americans are friendlier now than in 1813.
From behind enemy linesFrom behind enemy lines
From behind enemy lines

New York State is really a wonderful place.
Behind enemy lines!Behind enemy lines!
Behind enemy lines!

We are at the home of Miranda's mother. In the background are paintings from 1812...yes Miranda's fore-bearers fought for the enemy. (Summer 2012 FotoetimePhoto CR)
Burlington, OntarioBurlington, Ontario
Burlington, Ontario

Bryan looking out over the Great Lakes.
Burlington, OntarioBurlington, Ontario
Burlington, Ontario

Town Center


Comments only available on published blogs

1st September 2018

Loved the "Song" LOL
Loved the "Song" LOL
3rd September 2018

Song
It is Canadian humour.
2nd September 2018

American Canadian war
Well, I never even knew about that war! President Madison seems to have been the Trump of his day.
4th September 2018

LOL
Our 'travels' are a bit "tongue in cheek'. Miranda was born in the USA and we love the USA. However, it would be fair to say Trump's trade war is hitting us hard.

Tot: 0.342s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0925s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb