around Saguenay Fjord


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Quebec » Saguenay
August 27th 2010
Published: August 27th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Hi, All --
About five days ago Bob and I took a short ferry ride to Tadoussac, the northern side of the opening to Saguenay Fjord, which flows in and out of the St. Lawrence. We spent two nights in that little village and did some whale watching as you can see in the last blog. Then we drove down the northern side of the fjord, around the lake at the end, Lake St. Jean, and came back on the southern side, about 350 miles altogether.
The photos that follow are of the fjord, around the lake, and an historic village, Val-Jalbert -- a village and pulp mill built around a waterfall beginning in 1901. In 1927 the mill abruptly closed and everyone was forced to leave. The little village sat for over 40 years, decaying, the machinery stolen, just disintegrating. Then a major restoration began in the 70's and is almost completed. Some of the old homes have been spruced up and now rent out for short periods.
We've been blessed with good weather until today when we had a gentle rain most of the day. But then we were driving all day so it didn't matter much. We're now in New Brunswick heading into Maine.
Paula & Bob



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

school roomschool room
school room

A bedroom for one of the sisters running the Catholic school -- orange and pink. A spunky nun!


27th August 2010

Looking good
You and Bob look great! Traveling does agree with you. As always, I am enjoying the travelogue and photos. Just wish I were there instead of here. I'm two months post-op from hip replacement surgery and the recovery process is challenging. So, my travels will have to be delayed for a few months. Groan! Take care, Pat
27th August 2010

Lovely scenery/wonderful restorations
Glad y'all are having a good time. Love the neat photo of the two of you. From your attire and the scenery, I can tell the weather is pleasant--a real change from the humid St. Pete area! (Fortunately, we're up in KY right now, where the humidity is low and the temperatures are more like in fall, too.)

Tot: 0.188s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 68; dbt: 0.0867s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb