Canada Isn't Supposed to be This Hot!


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Quebec » Québec City
August 10th 2014
Published: August 11th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Château FrontenacChâteau FrontenacChâteau Frontenac

The hotel that dominates Old Quebec.
We headed out for a walk around old Quebec and we were firstly surprised by how hot it was. Having gone a lot further north, we were expecting it to have cooled down slightly, however it was definitely hotter than Bar Harbor and Boston.

We also can't quite come to terms with this being North America rather than Europe. It's not just the language or the architecture, but the whole feel of the place, with street artists, buskers, and the whole café culture all combining.

We started with a walk around the battlements. Quebec is the only remaining walled city north of Mexico. They are still littered with canons, all put in place to fend off an attack from the USA, which never came. I'm not quite sure why they were so convinced there would be such an attack; presumably the possibility of the age-old bickering between England and France spilling over to here.

Old Quebec is a lot smaller than we were expecting and can easily be walked around in less than a day. Where in Boston we wanted to be doing things the whole time, here it is more a case of taking in the atmosphere,
Walled CityWalled CityWalled City

One of the gates into the old walled city.
watching what is going on, relaxing with a drink and seeing the sights, such as Le Citadelle,Château Frontenac, Bastilique Notre Dame (sounds familiar) de Quebec and Place Royale. After a few such diversions, we went back to the battlements to complete the circuit back to near our hotel.

We went back to the hotel for a while and then went out for another walk a bit later. It was so much cooler and so much more comfortable to walk.

We found a restaurant for our evening meal. No that there we are somewhere with a strong French influence, the focus is very much on quality rather than quantity. They weren't the large portions that we have gotten used to, but it was fantastic tasting food.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Soup and PigeonSoup and Pigeon
Soup and Pigeon

I have absolutely no idea.


Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0373s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb