Quebec City


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Quebec » Québec City
October 7th 2008
Published: October 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After a late start and a day of driving we arrived at dusk to Quebec City where we met our very energetic CS host George. He was a born joker and at the same time, so very intelligent. We had a night in with wonderful food, a bottle of red and some great conversation.

After waking, we quick got ready and set off for the Old City. Quebec is one of the only cities in the world to still have its city wall still intact. Once you walk inside the walls, it doesn’t feel like you are in North America any more. The charming old buildings as well hearing the French language everywhere makes you fell as though you are across the Atlantic. Most of our day was spent wandering around, just absorbing the atmosphere. Atop Cape Diamond is the Quebec Citadel, looking down upon the St Laurent River. From there we set about doing a lap on top of the city walls. Then down a narrow, steep and windy street and then down a couple flights of stairs is Rue du Petit-Champlain. A charming little street in the Lower Old City, which is full of beautiful little shops and Galleries. It is actually the oldest commercial street in North America and surprisingly lacks much of the tacky rubbish you may expect to see in such a place. The Lower old city also presents you with a number of Murals that cover whole sides of 3 and 4 story buildings in the area. After a visit to the Chocolate Museum, with Hayley licking her lips the whole way there, we headed back to George’s place, with our legs feeling a little weary from the day. As soon as we got through the door, we went back out with George’s to check out a nice waterfall and catch the sunset. We made out way down many stairs and the river bank and walked along to the bottom of the falls. The only problem was our tired legs carrying us back up them! Another night of food, wine and laughs at the dinner table and then it was time to fall into bed for some much needed shut-eye.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Rue Du Petit-ChamplainRue Du Petit-Champlain
Rue Du Petit-Champlain

Little Champlain Street. The oldest commercial street in North America. Full of great little gift shops, that avoid the Tacky Tourist Junk
Vieux (Old) Quebec MuralsVieux (Old) Quebec Murals
Vieux (Old) Quebec Murals

There are a number of these around Old Quebec. Instead of plain sides of Buildings, they painted them. They are an attraction within themselves.
The Old City WallThe Old City Wall
The Old City Wall

Quebec City is the the only city in North America to have its City walls still intact


Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0458s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb