Biking in Montreal, Canada


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Quebec » Montréal
August 10th 2014
Published: August 19th 2014
Edit Blog Post

MONTREAL

I have been visiting Montreal for about 20 years, but it has always been during Spring, winter or fall and always in the built up area around NDG.



In 2014 we had the chance to visit with our daughter who had recently moved to Lachine. I have always heard that Montreal had excellent multi-purpose paths but this was my first experience.



My experience is along the waterfronts of Dorval, Lachine and LaSalle in the SW part of Montreal.



This blog section contains about 60 write-ups on different biking routes in Eastern North America. I have to say that what I saw of the route in Lachine and LaSalle , this area ranks right up there among the top 5.



In many parts of the trail there are separate walking and biking/roller blading trails. The water is almost always in sight.



Beside the trail is usually a wide green park area with the usual things you find in parks: Gardens, washrooms, water fountains, benches, tables, memorials, art etc.

The riverside trail ends at the Lachine/Dorval border. For some of the way there is a bicycle lane on Bord du lac street. In other places there is just a sidewalk. A better idea is to go north a few blocks and find a street that parallels Bord du Lac. It will have less traffic



In Lachine there is a 2 km side trail that does a loop (Rene Levesque Park) and is surrounded by water on 3 sides. Here you will find a tourist info building and a place to rent bicycles (Rossi Sports at 300 chemin du canal 514-366-0078 in 2015 it was $10 per hour or $35 for the day) From this point it is 13 km to old Montreal. The route parallels the Lachine Canal and will take you to Montreal's well known Byward Market. Along the way there is a brewery right on the trail, that serves beer and snacks.

From Lachine, near Rene Levesque Park you can take an alternate trail that follows the St. Lawrence River. The first few kilometres are not as interesting but then everything opens up with wide parkland on both sides of the trail. If you are lucky you can see river surfers (yes surfing!!) on the river. I took this trail is far as Nun's island. As well there is a trail that goes north from the river and eventually circles back to the St. Lawrence.

What makes these trail so nice is that although they within the greater Montreal area, the towns along the canal have a real small town flavor. No 4 lane streets, high rise office buildings, factories, shopping malls. Along the river I never saw any buildings that were more than 2 stories high. Keep in mind that these trails are well used. If you can, avoid them on summer weekends as the trails are clogged with speeders, in line skaters, children, older people etc.



There are plenty of restaurants for grabbing a lunch, within sight of the trails



I highly recommend cycling in Montreal and especially in the Lachine and LaSalle areas. I Have biked these trails 4 times. Last time was 2016


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.565s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 54; dbt: 0.2629s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb