day 13 - montreal, quebec


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Quebec » Montréal
June 2nd 2010
Published: June 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

temp: 28degrees

after what was a fairly late night i was up and about at just after 8am for our meet time in the lobby of 9am.
we decided this morning we were doing sightseeing, we picked the furthest place on the map to start with, this was 'oratoire st. joseph.
this is a magnificent church, its the second largest in the world only to st peters basillica in rome. its huge. and has a lot of steps leading to it. a little history on it.
every year two million pilgrams climb the 300 steps to the entrance of the church on their knees. their devotion would impress brother andre (1845-1937), the remarkable man who built the shrine. the joined the congregation of the holy cross in 1870 as a cleric, and began exercising extraordinary curative powers on the sick. he attributed his skills to st joseph's intervention and petitioned for donations to build the oratoire. basically, people would go up there on crutches and leave being able to walk, or so its said. the crutches of those that were healed are still in there.
after this we caught the metro out basilique notre-dame-de-montreal. it costs $5 t get in but its definitely worth it. this is one of the most impressive churches ive ever seen. the interior is beautiful, ull have to see the pictures to see what i mean.

after this we walked down the the port area for some lunch. i had the equivalent of noodlebox, not quite the same though.

after this we caught metro out to the olmpic park that was used for the 1975 summer olympics. funny story about this. they built the brand new stadium, with an opening roof much like etihad stadium, first time they went to open it, it didnt open. it was never opened, it was later replaced with a permanent covered roof.

after we caught the metro out to the biosphere, this thing is pretty cool. it was created for 'expo 67' (much like the space needle was in seattle), its now an ecowatch centre.
after this we walked quite abit to 'the six flags la ronde' amusement park.

oh my god, this place was amazing. 7 huge rollercoasters among other rides and only $45 to get in. we got here about 3pm. we only had to line up for one of the rides,all the others we got on straight away, and in the front of two of them. it was certainly a good way of waking us up. brilliant park, highly recommendded.

we left the park about 6:15 and we were rollercoasted out, did the long walk back to the metro, stopping take photos on beavers on the way, and went back to the hotel for a 30minute power nap then got ready to head back in for some dinner.

we hit up 'amirs' again, thats how good the shish taouk was. we were gonna go out for some drinks but thought we'd have an early one as we have 2 or 3 very busy days ahead of us in toronto.

sorry took abit to upload these few as internet access has been limitted.

xoxo mm


Advertisement



3rd June 2010

Manderin chicken by any chance?
3rd June 2010

Thanx for the little history lesson at the beginning there MM! lol Well done you for listening! You know me, I'd have been more interested in any gift shops that might have been around! lol

Tot: 0.584s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 16; qc: 86; dbt: 0.1333s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb