Canada: Montréal Part 2 - Boulevard Saint-Laurent & The Plateau area (Mon 4th August)


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Quebec » Montréal » Plateau Mont-Royal
August 27th 2014
Published: August 27th 2014
Edit Blog Post

On my last day in Montréal, I spent the day exploring a livelier, trendier part of Montréal called the Plateau - think Montréal's answer to Shoreditch or Stoke Newington. Lots of street art, excellent restaurants, independent shops, bars and cafés, second-hand (and sometimes anarchist) bookshops, record stores, and most importantly, some of the best smoked meat sandwiches, poutine and bagels in Montréal. I spent the afternoon gorging on a delicious smoked meat sandwich at Schwartz's - a long-running deli in the Jewish tradition with a well-worth-it queue going halfway down the street for both takeaways and eating in - and, almost immediately after, stocking up on hot, freshly wood-oven-baked, beautiful bagels from the Saint-Viateur bakery, always mentioned as one of the two best bagel bakeries in Montréal alongside Fairmount Bagels. This is one of the nicest parts of Montréal and, like parts of Toronto, it gave me that 'I wouldn't mind living here' feeling wandering lazily around it. It was almost a shame to board the bus for Ottawa afterwards, even if I still had plenty of Saint-Viateur bagels and cream cheese for consolation!


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0379s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb