Gatineau Park


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Quebec » Gatineau
October 15th 2012
Published: October 15th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We woke up this morning to find the sun shining (a little bit) and our colds abated (somewhat), so we decided to take advantage of the good conditions while they lasted, and headed off to drive the Gatineau Parkway.

What a trip down memory lane to be in these hills amid the fall colors, with the sun dashing in and out! I remember many hikes up to the Belvedere Lookout, in company with different family and friends over the years. I remember hiking myriad trails with friends Patrice and Susan back in the 90s, getting so lost we probably logged 20 km one Sunday instead of the 5 we intended. I remember the many times I took my mother to Moorside for a coffee and a slice of pumpkin-mince pie. How she loved the tea room! Unfortunately we missed doing this ourselves by hours: yesterday was the last day the tea room was open this year. Still, it was lovely to wander around the grounds and explore the ruins once again.

We headed towards Meech Lake but were thwarted in our intent to visit by the gas alarm going off. Without a map in the car, we decided prudence was in order and headed for what we thought was civilization to fill the gas tank. An obliging road worker was able to tell us where to find the closest gas station, so my lifetime record of never yet running out of gas remains unbroken! No small thanks to the little robot warning on the dash, however. I confess to being thoroughly distracted by all the beauty of the park today.

The closest gas station turned out to be in Old Chelsea, one of Roberta's favorite old haunts. L'Agarique is no longer there but Soupe'Herbe provided us with a delicious lunch: portobella panini and cream of beet soup for Katherine and roasted red pepper croissant and carrot curry soup for Roberta. (Burp!)

We wound up our excursion with a stop at Starbucks to send email and write this blog posting before heading back home for a nap.

Many more photos can be found at https://picasaweb.google.com/109471170472848057534/GatineauPark


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0473s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb