Log 17 - Canadian Museum of Civilization


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Quebec » Gatineau
October 23rd 2009
Published: October 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

This museum is amazing! Paula

Canadian Museum of Civilization
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Established 1856 (1989)
Location Gatineau, Quebec
Type Human and cultural history
Visitor figures 1.3 million per year


The Canadian Museum of Civilization is Canada’s national museum of human history and the most popular and most-visited museum in Canada. It is located in Gatineau, Quebec, directly across the Ottawa River from Canada’s Parliament Buildings in Ottawa, Ontario. The Museum’s primary purpose is to collect, study, preserve, and present material objects that illuminate the human history of Canada and the cultural diversity of its people.
For the visiting public, the Museum of Civilization is most renowned for its permanent galleries, which explore Canada’s 20,000 years of human history, and for its architecture and stunning riverside setting. The Museum also presents an ever-changing program of special exhibitions that expand on Canadian themes and explore other cultures and civilizations, past and present. The Museum of Civilization is also a major research institution. Its professional staff includes leading experts in Canadian history, archaeology, ethnology, folk culture, and more.
With roots stretching back to 1856, the Museum is one of North America’s oldest cultural institutions.



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.207s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 69; dbt: 0.0921s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb