10 Year Partnership


Advertisement
Published: August 6th 2015
Edit Blog Post

This year marks Thrivent's 10th year in partnership with Habitat. Amazing things happen when thirteen people with heart commit a week of their lives to help a family become home owners. The thirteen of us from Thrivent partnering with the local Habitat Affiliate, Don (the best construction manager who not only directs us but is also teaching us valuable construction skills), Travis (a local student who is studying to become a machinist), Pascal (an exchange student from Quebec here to sharpen his English speaking skills), and technical contractors doing electrical and plumbing have made some amazing progress this week. Today we finished the framing for front and back decks, finished the inside to be ready for sheet rock, and completed the roof prep to be ready for shingles. Most of us have not had much construction experience, but with the expert direction from Don, we are moving through his task list. Don even wore the Live Generously t-shirt we gave him today. See the photo with dark gray shirts, the Thrivent heart, and Live Generously words on the front. He even ate lunch with us today for the first time this week.

Morning overcast skies gave us a cooler start to the day. Lunch was the best yet - homemade potato salad and fixings for ham sandwiches. Afternoon peaches were a welcome treat for afternoon break. This evening instead of heading back to town for dinner, we stayed at the cottages for dinner thanks to the Juice Box Café. Healthy wraps, salads, and cut veggies with hummus dip from local ingredients were a welcome change. Having dinner here at the cottages gave way for evening conversations, games and laughter around the fire late into the evening.

We are from all over the United States and being together this week has us developing deep bonds of friendship with one another that would not likely happen any other way. Conversations have deepened, compassion abounds, encouragement and grace are abundant. We are truly blessed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



6th August 2015

:)
Gary - Somehow, I just *knew* there would be a bonfire with you leading the team! I hope you made S'mores! The house--and the team--are looking awesome!
6th August 2015

:)
Gary - Somehow, I just *knew* there would be a bonfire with you leading the team! I hope you made S'mores! The house--and the team--are looking awesome!

Tot: 0.216s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0957s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb