Wolves


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario
October 3rd 2016
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 45.2314, -78.5903

We slept in after our late night and got going just before lunch to visit the Wolf Centre.

We had afternoon tea with neighbours and then we drove the Mazda MX5 back to Toronto.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Haliburton Forest Wolf CentreHaliburton Forest Wolf Centre
Haliburton Forest Wolf Centre

Very interesting visit. The wolf pack was in a large enclosure that we watched from a glassed-in viewing room. Also there were all sorts of stuffed animals and exhibits with informative captions. And a theatre where they ran a film on wolves, grizzlies and other predators. This dramatic painting was done by a prominent local artist.
Wolf PackWolf Pack
Wolf Pack

We saw nine wolves in the enclosure. Here they had become restless because they knew the handlers were about to feed them.
Alpha MaleAlpha Male
Alpha Male

The pack feeding behaviour was very interesting to observe. Only the alpha male ate from the pile of meat that was tipped in to the enclosure. His mate would dart in briefly to grab some meat when he was occupied. After she had eaten she started to take pieces of meat 10-15 m away where the cubs would cautiously run in and take a piece. The two youngsters (born in May) stayed at the periphery of the clearing and seemed to get very little to eat.
Satiated!Satiated!
Satiated!

We could almost watch his belly swelling. He weighs about 120lb and the keeper said he would eat about 40lbs of meat! When he was full he settled beside the remaining food and allowed the other pack members to eat.
NeighboursNeighbours
Neighbours

We had a very pleasant afternoon tea with Janet and David Glover, both ex-Brits. Janet's parents moved to Perth about 25 years ago and so she and David have spent a lot of time in Oz. A few years ago they bought the original house on Lake Cranberry's north shore and are steadily improving it and its grounds.


4th October 2016

Surely he wouldnt eat that daily, thats huge! he must burn it up but hard to imagine in an enclosure, looks healthy.
6th October 2016

The wolves are normally fed once week - a long time between drinks!

Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0335s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb