Windsor


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Windsor
September 29th 2005
Published: October 26th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Point PeleePoint PeleePoint Pelee

the sourthern most tip of Canada
So, 'Windsor' we here you say, why would they be going to Windsor??? Well Windsor is actually a cool little town just accross the river from Detroit making it the southern most town in Canada, plus it is where Mike and Kristina live so we had to go and stop in and say hi.

Windsor's claim to fame other then being the southern most city in Canada and an entry point to the US is that it houses the 'Big 3' car manufacturer's - GM, Ford and Chrysler.

While we were staying with Kristina and her folks, her dad took us to Ojibway which is a local forest area that grows Carolinian forest. This is special as it is the only forest of this type left in Canada, it is really nice with picnic areas, walking trails and deer wandering freely through the forest. There is also a little building that has some birds and reptiles - including a rattle snake and a bunny.

We also had a street BBQ party for the end of summer, again it was only burgers and hot dogs but at least there was some variety in that there were salmon burgers (awesome) and some ribs cooked as well as lots of salads. Saturday is a big night out on the town so we headed in to meet some more of Mike and Kristina's friends. We ended up a pub called "the beach" it didn't hve much in the way of fluro coconuts, but there was a deck area to people watch from. They also serve the biggest sized nachos we have ever seen - this thing served at least 10 people and no one was hungry after eating some. This pub was pretty similar to what you would find at home - crowded dance area with girls dressed in nothing more than a belt and string top - even though it was pretty cool at night, and guys trying to look cool enough for the girls to come and talk to them. But once again it was nice to go where the locals drink.

Since Windsor is such a big car town there are heaps of car shows and hotted up cars running around the streets. We went to one where there was everything from actual dragsters (road registered with wheelie bars and parachutes) to wannabe dragsters, classics that had been lovingly restored to rat rods. There was definately a huge variety in what people liked to do to their cars, and what cars they did up.

Windsor is situated on the detroit river which leads into lake St Claire so there are a lot of boats in the area and nice spots around the lake to stop and have a picnic as well as ice cream. We went to Belle River one day for a picnic lunch and watched all the different types of boats coming and going. Once again we had to stop and think that we weren't on / near the ocean as we couldn't see the other side of the lake. It truely is amazing how big these lakes and rivers are.

We took a road trip out to Point Pelee which is the southern most point in Canada. It is so beautiful down there. There are all these paths you can walk along through forest, beaches you can swim at, you can hire canoes and paddle around the marsh or you can walk on the paths. There is so much to do. You can walk right out to the point on the sand bank but you have to watch the water it comes from two sides of the lake and has a really strong current. Even so it is a beautiful spot.

The rest of the week we hung out and relaxed we were all pretty pooped from our travels and enjoyed catching up with each other before we had to say our goodbuys.





Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.093s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0555s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb