Toronto


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Toronto
May 1st 2010
Published: May 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

I doddled around and went up to McDonald's for breakfast although it was 12. I started walking back to the hostel as I wanted to ask about the weed march, was just interested to see what it was about. I ran into Mark who said he would show me. So we walked to Dundas Square and then asked a market stool keeper where it was. So we trekked up to Queens Park and got caught in the swarm of people going the same way. The march was basically a load of students (and couple of elderly people) who wanted to get high. They were protesting because in Vancouver you can smoke a joint anywhere including walking down the street (basically) but in Toronto you can only smoke in certain areas although parks are allowed just not down the streets (have to be careful with police around). So hundreds of students and a couple of old people got together. It was a great but surreal atmosphere. Everyone was smoking and getting high even the stool keepers and a guy who was heating glass on a bunsen burner and making glass pipes. The stools were great as they were selling pipes and bongs (some of which were amazing and looked more like art work). They were multicoloured and had patterns on them. There was a stage set up but just bass was playing and then this guy started playing the saxophone which was super fantastic. It started chucking with rain so we didn't stick around much longer. We wondered about and got lost but found our way to Queen Street and went to the pub where I had my first appletini which was lovely. I phoned Matt from Marks phone so headed back to the hostel, changed and then proceeded to walk the tiresome 50 minutes to Matts. We watched Star Wars (the new one) and predrank before heading out. The view from Matts roof terrace was fantastic and you could go on to the roof and get an even better view of the city and the harbour. We went to a New Zealander bar called Hemingway's. We got quite lost and the only map we had was one Matt had drawn, which consisted of 4 lines and 3 road names which we didn't know and never found. Walking down Cumberland was great as it was all lit up. Shops were still open and bars were very busy. There was a bar downstairs and one upstairs so we went upstairs and got a couple of pints and potato skins which were super delicious. We went downstairs and after being chased by the waitress because we didn't pay for the potato skins we got another pint and chilled. We were all so tired and Matt was quite drunk so we got a taxi home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1004s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb