Newfoundland (Canadian Electile Dysfunction)


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Toronto
October 18th 2008
Published: October 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0




On the night bus from Montreal to Toronto I was too alert to sleep. I drowned out the rattling emergency exit window with the mix-CD Mick had given me as a present before I left home. He's included the Stones, Zeppelin, Dave Brubeck and a few other jazz-funk tunes, so it felt a little like an imaginary road movie, passing late-night remote gas stations and diners with neon signs to a soundtrack of electric guitars, hammond organ and horns that sounded like they came from a 70's cop-show.

Newfoundland & St. John's


Toronto was warm, almost T-shirt weather after than the 5 days I'd spent in St. John's with Christa's parents, Marie & Paul. Newfoundland was coastal, so colder because of the damp, though that snow hadn't stuck, it was just a flurry. I've wanted to come and see this place ever since I read E. Annie Proulx's novel The Shipping News; it had that 'edge of the world' romance about it and I imagined beautiful women with long hair streaming in the wind, standing on a clifftop, looking out to sea. In reality there were a lot of Irish people, and pubs. We know what that means.
Night Bus to TorontoNight Bus to TorontoNight Bus to Toronto

(after "Twentysix Gasoline Stations" by Ed Ruscha).
Marie & Paul introduced me to their friends, took me sightseeing, fed and watered me and were just great company. Christa had insisted I get in touch with them, saying: "My Mom will put you up!", passed them my email address and the next thing, I'm in a conversation about the degree to which I was house-trained. I said I could wash up and cook; Marie asked if I could sew; and since we didn't know what each other looked like, I was greeted by this sign on arrival.

I learned that you pronounce Newfoundland like Understand; I was introduced to their friends with "he's from away!"; and I better get into the habit of saying "True!" in an argument as well, since I am an honorary Newfoundlander now, having been screeched-in at Christian's on George Street. You have to kiss a cod, down a shot of Screech Rum and this guy in a Sou'wester hat speaking Irish un-intelligably fast, taps you on each shoulder with an oar and then you're family. It was the start of a long night that also involved curry and live rock in Sundance nightclub.

Newfoundland is like part of Ireland was sawn
Can You Sew?Can You Sew?Can You Sew?

Marie & Paul, my hosts for the week in St. John's, Newfoundland.
off, towed across the Atlantic and moored next to Canada. English until 1907, then self-governing until 1949 when it became Canadian territory. Tune the radio in and you'll find Irish folk music and accordions on almost every station. I caught up with Andrea who used to work in Aberdeen but went back home 18 months ago with her Scottish boyfriend, Kevin - it was Andrea organised my screeching in. Petty Harbor, Cape Spear, Quidi Vidi and Signal Hill (where Marconi received the first long-distance radio transmission in 1901) are all picture-postcard beautiful, and I can recommend traditional Newfie breakfast of toutons (fried dough with molasses) and Fish & Brewis (rock-hard bread, soaked overnight & cooked with salt fish). Somebody should offer that down at the beach in Aberdeen, there's enough gulls and overcast they'd be crying with homesickness: (I can see the window of the Inversnecky now: 20%!D(MISSING)iscount for Newfies if you Burst into Tears!).

Christa and I hatched a plan before I left as well: Ray was an old work colleague of hers and the story I'm told involves his family, an RV with a broken seal on the onboard toilet, and a bump in the road
St. John's Wooden HousesSt. John's Wooden HousesSt. John's Wooden Houses

St. John's was destroyed by fire twice in the 1800's; wooden houses like these in bright colours all across town, though the streets are wider now, to act as a fire-break.
leading to his workmates handing him air-fresheners for days afterwards. So several weeks later here I am in the reception of his office, asking for speak to a guy I've never met, who doesn't know I'm coming, explaining that no, I don't have an appointment and wondering how he's going to take it. He was a great sport though, and to his workmate who took the photo: "This is gonna be on the Internet" - happy to oblige, Ray.

Toronto, Niagara and electoral fatigue


In Toronto I went up the CN tower - been wanting to ever since I saw it as a kid on Blue Peter. Walking around town, the hip place to live appears to be the Distillery Historic District. I like it when they re-use old industrial buildings but keep the equipment and so you have art galleries with air receivers and wash-backs behind them. I took a day-trip to see Niagara falls as well, but had been warned it was a cheesy tourist trap and a good example of how not to do it.

After Toronto, I caught the 09:00am train VIA1 "The Canadian" bound for Winnipeg arriving 15:45 the next day, which gave
Meeting Andrea for lunchMeeting Andrea for lunchMeeting Andrea for lunch

Yellowbellies restaurant & bar, St. John's.
me plenty of time to look out of the window and think. It doesn't go particularly fast and I reckon you might be able to drive the route in around the same time; but the economy class seat and the restaurant car was equivalent to any business-class in the UK and better still: they have those little bubbles on top of the cars for an all-round view. In the evening they handed out blankets, pillows and those little eye-masks that always make me think of Top Cat. We passed through hour after hour of lakes, beautiful Autumn foliage and places with names like "Sioux Lookout".

I read the newspaper cover to cover, I had more than enough time. They've just had a general election here: the Conservative party won, though without a majority, taking 38%!o(MISSING)f the vote (they were kicked completely out of Newfoundland). The Conservatives correspond roughly to our own party of the same name, whilst the Liberals approximate to our own Labour party - who crashed to defeat with 26%! (MISSING)Interesting to note the electoral system has glitches similar to ours: "When the Green party has 6.8%!o(MISSING)f the votes without a seat, but the Bloc
Mission AccomplishedMission AccomplishedMission Accomplished

This is Ray, who wasn't expecting a visitor, especially one bearing an air-freshener.
(Quebecois) has 10%!a(MISSING)nd 50 seats, there is something fundamentally wrong..." went one letter in the Globe & Mail. Lowest voter turnout on record at just 59%!,(MISSING) but maybe thats because it was their 3rd election in 6 years, or it could be that I overhead one guy at the next table saying something like only in Canada could they be more interested in their neighbour's upcoming election than their own.

I've been keeping a Porsche-count by the way. I'm not sure quite what I intend to achieve by it... maybe I'm curious about whether I'm going to see as many of them as I could in any given lunch-hour up Union Street - and please don't be offended anyone who already has one, I know a couple of you that do. Make of the results what you like. Scores so far:
Montreal: 6 in 3 days.
St. John's: 1/5 days.
Toronto: 8 (mostly convertibles!)/3 days.

And if anyone can top Imaginary Road Movie for a title, do let me know.




Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Niagara FallsNiagara Falls
Niagara Falls

What the brochure & postcard shots don't normally show you is all the over-development, the casinos, the premium coffee bars, the tat shops...
NiagaraNiagara
Niagara

What's a '4D' theatre? If 3D is when they wear the glasses, what's the 4th dimension... Smell? Time? "Ladies & Gentlemen, prepare to experience the world's only time-travelling theatre! Moving at a speed of 1-second per second, you'll be amazed to find yourself aged a mere quarter of an hour older after our 15-minute presentation!..."
VIA1 train to WinnipegVIA1 train to Winnipeg
VIA1 train to Winnipeg

Hour after hour after hour of incredible scenery going by as we crossed Ontario. I know it's a big country, I learned that at school, but it's another thing entirely to cross it in person.
VIA1 train to WinnipegVIA1 train to Winnipeg
VIA1 train to Winnipeg

Dawn, still in Ontario.
VIA1 train to WinnipegVIA1 train to Winnipeg
VIA1 train to Winnipeg

The observation bubble on top of the car.


19th October 2008

imaginary road movie
Good title. Sums it up. I found a few 'random movie title generators' and came up with a few alternative titles. "Standing in front of Cutsman" was a suitably indie-title for a road movie. Makes the audience think "...now who or what is Cutsman? Is it someone the character has to meet? Or is Cutsman the guy and the world is standing in front of him as he travels through it?" Better than Annoying iceberg, my third attempt at a title generator. to Cutsman's everywhere, safe travelling.....
19th October 2008

another title
from a random B-movie film title- its up to you to decide if any of these fits the bill. "March Of The Self-Centered Godless Cheese Victim" "Curse Of The Teen Skeletons" or my personal favorite... "The Dramatic Biker Penguin From Japan"
19th October 2008

What happened to Halifax?
So I guess I won't be receiving a postcard anytime soon?
20th October 2008

Of all the places you have visited so far, which has the best hookers?
21st October 2008

Hi
Beats work....:))
21st October 2008

holy land
Hi Martin, good to hear you are travelling and not in the UK....... Hey RON BIRD how was Penzance?!!!!!
22nd October 2008

Scrounging git.....
I wonder if Marie and Paul knew you were a rich, mercenary, contractor (and a scouser to boot!) before they let you into their home? I must admit to wondering what the hell you did here at Talisman, however the share price has halved since you left, make of that what you will. Look after yourself and remember, Glasgow kiss first, questions later.
23rd October 2008

Keep it Up
Hi martin, Good to here your travels are going well and look forward to reading the next episode! Cheers, Tony.
28th October 2008

Theres only one Martin Harley
Trust you to keep us all captivated with your travel blog , Dave, Andy , Karen and rest of the boat / mats team say hi , take care and good luck . PS On the clothes thing, If you need a tie, we can e mail you one ... again .
28th October 2008

Glad your liking the the cd mix, knew i should have put road to nowhere on it. I'm loving the little history lessons thrown in, and how your being inspired by what you experience. Although the inversnecky idea is better than counting porsches!! Loving the pics too, especially the bald headed guy on the observation bubble, very abstract! Glad your having a great time. Keep them coming mart.

Tot: 0.301s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 15; qc: 56; dbt: 0.2366s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb