Around Toronto and Algonquin


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Toronto
September 5th 2005
Published: September 8th 2005
Edit Blog Post

For those that have been around Fitzroy, VIC or Newton, NSW some parts of Toronto will be familiar. The area of most interest was Queen street West. This is the side of the city I got to see on the first few days in Canada.

Toronto's much celebrated multi-cultural population is fairly evident, but not dramatically different to Sydney or Melbourne. I do like the Canadian accent and the smiles of many of the people who are both friendly and outgoing.

With only a short time in Canada and with a keen need to see more of this country, I decided to head into the wilderness. This led me to the Algonquin National Park, one of the closest parks to Toronto. It was about 3.5 hrs north.

One of my limitations was that I was not packed to really go bush. So while I could not camp out, I took the easy way and joined a guided tour, which stayed in a cabin managed by Voyageur Quest. For the short time we were there, we were able to experience aspects of the early fur traders and the voyageurs. While we did not see any moose, black bears or wolves, I did see a beaver swim from its home in the early morning light. With the passing of Summer and start of Fall, we were also aware that the forest was changing colour from green to shades of red and orange.

One of the big benefits of this trip was that our gear was delivered directly to the log cabin and we were able to trek unencumbered through the park for 3 hrs by land and water to arrive at our destination. Arriving by canoe really made you feel like you were entering an inaccessible part of the world. Our isolation was made clear when we arrived to the cabins that have been well designed to provide all the necessities without any electricity. While most tourists like this isolation, my group I think would have preferred at least to have some of the creature comforts. Not being able to charge a digital camera can be a problem. Overall I have to say the log cabin was very good for letting someone escape the city and enjoy the use of great outdoor activities, food and scenery. The photos below tell the rest of the story.



Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

CN TowerCN Tower
CN Tower

Apparently this is the tallest unsupported structure in the world.
Bike path around Toronto IslandBike path around Toronto Island
Bike path around Toronto Island

I hired a bike for this day and road around the island and then went for a swim.


9th September 2005

Great views and cabins
It's interesting that you compared the multicultural atmosphere of Newtown and Melbourne and in one quick step you went to the wonderful wilderness. Hey, maybe that's an idea we should all strive for in Sydney. a quick hop skip from cosmopolitan living to the lakes, forest, and natural cabins. Love Mum

Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.081s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb