Biking the Victoria Rail Trail


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Peterborough
August 26th 2019
Published: October 25th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Victoria Rail Trail


Peterborough and Lindsay's Victoria Rail Trail







I have biked this trail about 5 times. Late September and early October are scenic as is mid-summer.

The Victoria Rail Trail consists of crushed limestone with some loose gravel sections. A hybrid bike would be fine. Sections in the Lindsay area are paved.

It is a part of the TransCanada Trail and as it passes through communities it may change name (eg Omemee Trail, Peterborough Rotary Trail etc)



Depending on where you start, the distance could be around 51 km.




There are a number of modern benches spread out along the trail. There is no water and there are no washrooms on the trail.



Most of the trail passes through rural farmland, cornfields, and old barns. There are some bridges and river crossings.



The trail is worth riding just to view the DUBE'S TRESTLE Bridge, 30 metres above Buttermilk Creek. Fantastic views, especially in the fall. It is only about 1 km east, from the trail's intersection with Emily Park Road just north of Highway 7. There is room for parking at the trail crossing.

Each road crossing has a name and the distance to the next road crossing.



There are a number of places to park. One is Jack Callahan Public School, 5 Traceys Hill Road in Kawartha Lakes. The trail crosses the road about 200 metres away.

Another good spot would be in the village of Reaboro, where there is also a covered picnic area and garbage bin. Emily Park Road mentioned above and many other sideroads.

The trail ends in the city of Peterborough and Jackson Park is a good place to rest and relax before turning around.

photos below .......





Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

victoria trail  (12)victoria trail  (12)
victoria trail (12)

Dube's trestle bridge
victoria trailvictoria trail
victoria trail

Jackson Park, Peterborough
victoria trail  (14)victoria trail  (14)
victoria trail (14)

Dubes trestle


Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 11; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0692s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb