"Official" Ottawa - a brief tour


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Ottawa
December 1st 2015
Published: December 1st 2015
Edit Blog Post

Ottawa's residents may be forgiven for thinking that their city is nearly smothered in officialdom. In addition to the Federal government and its National Capital Commission, the Province of Ontario also has certain offices there, and of course the City itself provides for numerous administrative functions. On top of that, many of the 130 countries with which Canada maintains diplomatic relations have embassies ... some simple, others impressive ... as well as some pretty elegant separate ambassadorial residences. The result is that "official" buildings in Canada's capital present a very eclectic mix of styles.

At Confederation in 1867 it was imagined that Parliament Hill would be large enough to accommodate all the government offices the country would ever need. But as “Parkinson’s Law” came into play, federal departments and agencies have mushroomed over the years, and many new buildings have been added. Located mostly within the central part of the city, some are very plain office buildings, while others make for interesting architectural studies.

As for the Province of Ontario, within its jurisdiction there are various authorities, most notably a new Courthouse, located right next door to City Hall.

We mustn't forget the municipal government: City Hall was originally located three blocks from Parliament Hill, but eventually that building was replaced by a larger one situated about three kilometers to the east, where the Rideau and Ottawa Rivers merge. It had to be enlarged in the 1990s, but with the subsequent amalgamation of the original city and all its satellite suburbs City Hall moved again, back to a more central location. Today its latest incarnation also incorporates a beautiful heritage building, the former Ottawa Teachers’ College, which now houses the Mayor's offices.

There are dozens of other buildings having some "official" status; this article only presents a few of the more interesting ones.


Additional photos below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

the Supreme Court of Canada, seen from the Ottawa Riverthe Supreme Court of Canada, seen from the Ottawa River
the Supreme Court of Canada, seen from the Ottawa River

Also housing the Federal Court, it was opened in 1939. The attractive chateau-style copper roof was the brainchild of PM Mackenzie King. It is open for guided tours in the Summer when the Court is not in session.
Rideau Hall, the Governor General's residence since 1867Rideau Hall, the Governor General's residence since 1867
Rideau Hall, the Governor General's residence since 1867

Surrounded by a magnificent 79 acre (30+ hectares) park, it was built in 1838. In 1867, it was bought for $82,000 by the Government of Canada as the permanent official residence for the Governor General
Stornoway, residence of the Leader of the OppositionStornoway, residence of the Leader of the Opposition
Stornoway, residence of the Leader of the Opposition

Stornoway was built in 1914 . It is well known for its role as a refuge during the Second World War for Crown Princess Juliana of the Netherlands and her daughters, one of whom was born in Ottawa. The house became a residence for the Official Leader of the Opposition in 1950.
the National War Memorialthe National War Memorial
the National War Memorial

The National War Memorial, 21 metres (c.70 ft) high, was unveiled by King George VI in 1939 to commemorate World War I. It consists of a granite arch featuring bronze figures representing Peace and Freedom. Subsequently the dates of World War II and the Korean and Afghanistan Wars have been added.
detail, 1.3 x life sizedetail, 1.3 x life size
detail, 1.3 x life size

Advancing through the archway are 22 larger-than-life bronze figures, representing the "Great Response" of hundreds of thousands of Canadians who answered the call to serve during World War I and all subsequent conflicts.
Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, Remembrance Day, November 11Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, Remembrance Day, November 11
Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, Remembrance Day, November 11

He perished in the vicinity of Vimy Ridge, France The tomb was established in 2000. The casket of silver maple and the granite sarcophagus both came from Quebec, while the bronze cover was designed and produced in British Columbia. 2000. His actual headstone is in the War Museum.


Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0435s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb