Why I Ottawa


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Ottawa
August 16th 2015
Published: August 18th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Today we left Sault Ste. Marie for Ottawa. It was another misty morning and it seemed only right to play Bruce Cockburn and Blue Rodeo, both Ontario grown, on the iPod. Initially the landscape was open and agricultural but it changed a number of times as we went along. Lovely old brick farmhouses flashed by along with big old plank barns, still standing straight and strong. A pair of herons caught our eye, posing calmly for a photo. We stopped to dip our toes in Lake Huron - Great Lake No. 2.

We saw a number of amusing road signs in Serpent River. One proudly proclaimed itself as "No Place Special". There was a road called "Handy Spot" and another sign advertised "Cheep Smokes", spelled just like that.

We stopped for a picnic lunch in North Bay on Lake Nippissing. For a beautiful August Sunday afternoon, it was remarkably quiet. We could see the spires of many churches from where we sat. Maybe everyone was in church.

After 10 hours, we arrived in Ottawa and found our Airbnb. We have the whole house to ourselves and it's a beautiful heritage home filled with character and contemporary art. It's situated in the Byward Market area, a unique area filled with history and bursting with restaurants, coffee houses, pubs, music venues, boutiques and a market. We're a five minute walk to Parliament Hill, the National Art Gallery, the National Art Centre, and the Museum of Civilization.

After unpacking a bit, we headed to Byward Market for dinner at an Irish Pub. Later we walked around the Parliament Hill area, soaking in the history and beauty of an era of master craftsmen. We marvelled at the skill and toil of those who created the architectural masterpieces standing before us.

We watched the Canadian flag snapping in the wind on the top of the Peace Tower and felt honoured to have received the flag that flew in this same place on February 25th of this year. The flag gets replaced every day from Monday to Friday and one can write in to request one. It only took 20 years for me to get mine. The waiting list is now 54 years so we feel lucky to have one at all.

We continued on, walking past the grand Chateau Laurier, when we heard a thunderous crash. We spun around to see that a young man had driven directly into a pole in the median behind us. Gas was flowing onto the street and a couple ran over and quickly helped the man, dazed and shaken, out of the car. Tim called 911 and within minutes, the first responders, police cars and ambulance showed up. A black stealth-like car sped by, seemingly an official government vehicle, making sure that national security wasn't being threatened. We'd never seen such a quick response! The wheels normally turn slowly in Ottawa, but not in this case.

We returned to Parliament Hill to take in the Sound and Light Show that takes place every night. Using digital laser technology, the show is projected onto the Centre Block and Peace Tower and illuminates Canadian stories of nation-building, partnership, discovery, valour, pride and vision, all presented with stirring narration and an original score. It was stunning and helped us to understand what it took our predecessors to make Canada what it is today. The multi-cultural audience was a testament to our spirit of inclusion, understanding and friendship.

We walked home exhausted by our long, wonderful day. Tomorrow we'll see what else our nation's capital has to offer.

(Scroll to bottom of page to see more photos.)


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



18th August 2015

The Building you forgot the name of is
The Connaught Building, housing the CRA. As usual, very entertaining writing Eileen!!
19th August 2015

Thanks!
Thanks, Roger. Somehow I knew you would come up with the right answer.

Tot: 0.174s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0841s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb