Ottawa Valley


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Ottawa
May 11th 2010
Published: May 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Tuesday 11.5.2010 day 209
Ottawa Valley
Sunrise here is about 5am at this time of the year and it is very nice to see the sun come up and shine on the lake in the morning. Samuel D Champlain was French explore, navigator and map maker who explored much of Eastern Canada. In 1613 while exploring the Ottawa River he needed to bypass the rapids in the river. To do this he portaged through a chain of lakes including green Lake (now Astrolabe Lake the lake on our resort) it is believed that is was here that he left behind his Astrolabe. An Astrolabe is one of the oldest know navigational instruments used. In 1867, Edward Lee a 12 year old boy whose family lived on the property, found the Astrolabe while helping his father clear some land by the lake. In 1988, a monument was built at Logos Land resort (where we are staying), to tell the story of what was lost and where it was found. In 2000, 6 5ft by 8th info boards were erected alongside buttermilk creak on Logos land. Today the astrolabe rests in the Canadian Museum of Civilization in Hull, Quebec. Today we did a drive though the Ottawa Valley. We drove to Mink Lake and to the little village of Eganville and then past Dore Lake around that we saw a Moose but I was not quick enough to get a photo of it. Then we drove on to the Village of Pembroke. On the way to Pembroke we saw some Bison. In Pembroke we found a liquor store for the first time in 4 days so we got some alcohol in a brown paper bag as the sell it here make you feel like a criminal just getting a drink. We drove along the river and then we drove along another country road that was a dirt road for some of it to the town of Calabogie we read there was a lot of black bears in the area and it look like black bear country and we saw lots of signs of black bears but did not actually see any black bears. We saw the other resort that we wanted to stay at in this area. It seemed more modern but was not as in the bush as we are here. We then drove to the town of Renfrew and did some shopping and then drove home on the road that was closed last night, it is now open.



Additional photos below
Photos: 49, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.521s; Tpl: 0.028s; cc: 14; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0941s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb