Niagara on The Lake, Onterio


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Niagara-On-The-Lake
August 29th 2007
Published: June 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Another long day's drive. We drove across the top of lake Huron and down Northern Manitoulin Island. Took the Main Channel ferry across Lake Huron to Bruce Peninsula and on to Niagara on th Lake. Arrived without reservations but we were able to get a reasonable rate at The Moffat Inn, a precious place, but then again the whole town is very precious. Designated the prettiest town in Ontario it does live up to the title. What strikes you first are the incredible flower gardens, public and private, that are everywhere. I've seen some big hanging baskets but none bigger than the ones here. They must fertilize like crazy. The shops as expected are expensive boutiques, no outlet shopping here. Even in darkness as we walked to an English Pub for a bite to eat the entire main street looked like you were walking through a picture postcard. After dinner Sylvan ran back to get the camera to get some night photos. This is also home to (as the PR material reads) "One of the world's finest theater companies, the Shaw Festival is internationally celebrated for it's vivid and exhilarating productions by Bernard Shaw and his contemporaries etc." (you get the point). Exhausted we slept in and then enjoyed a leisurely breakfast. Another stroll around town and we were off. The area is known for it's vineyards so we couldn't leave without a visit to at least one so we chose Pillitteri Estates Winery known for it's ice wines.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0708s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb