Penny Dreadful...a nightmare in Niagara pt 1


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Niagara Falls
October 27th 2014
Published: October 28th 2014
Edit Blog Post

A weekend get away that started as an exciting adventure shared by two long time friends, Crystal Jones and Nicole Smythe, quickly became a four day quest for survival in Upper Canada. My name is Chris Smythe, Nicole's husband, I noted that both ladies were smiling and laughing all the way to the Stanfield International Airport and couldn't wait to start their vacation. In retrospect, their delayed flight from Halifax to Toronto could have been considered a sign of things to come but it wasn't enough to dampen their spirits...although I'm sure the wine in the airport lounge may have also played a factor! I've spent considerable time trying to piece this together and through a combination of interviews and photographs I believe I've captured the weekend's events in their entirety below.

The mission, to surprise Penny, was planned meticulously months in advance and required the support and assistance of Penny's husband Jack, sister Pam and Mama B. The execution of the plan fell off the rails almost immediately upon arrival at Pearson International Airport in Toronto where Crystal and Nicole were stood up for hours by Pam and eventually had to rent a car and strike out on their own in search of a place to stay. Finally able to reach Pam by phone, they were given directions to her house and invited to spend the night on the cold tile floor. The bed and breakfast concept was not completely lost on Pam as a lovely assortment of crumbs was sprinkled on the floor around them as they slept...bon apetit! That was as close to breakfast as either Crystal or Nicole got all weekend.

Like Cinderella, Nicole was awakened before dawn and put to work preparing for Penny's arrival. Having only had 3hrs sleep, starving and thirsty, Nicole persevered even while being taunted continuously by Pam. All the while, Crystal rocked quietly in the corner. When Penny finally arrived and the surprise successfully executed, Nicole was immediately put back to work doing makeup applications for Penny's photo shoot (watch out for that welcome wagon it might run you over).

Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0338s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb