Farewell to Niagara Falls


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Niagara Falls
July 27th 2011
Published: July 28th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Genesee River GorgeGenesee River GorgeGenesee River Gorge

The 'Grand Canyon of the Easet'
This morning we left Niagara Falls and Canada, having thoroughly enjoyed our stay. We had a leisurely breakfast for once, since we were in no hurry to get anywhere. We crossed the border one last time and changed our Canadian casino winnings for good old, but less valuable (!), US dollars.
Then we headed to Letchworth State Park, home of the "Grand Canyon of the East." About two hours later we arrived and visited the park for a few hours. After the crowds of Niagara Falls, this was a welcome change of pace. Quiet and peaceful. And it was a gorgeous day with a high in the low 80s. The park was interesting and there were cabins and campgrounds and play areas and trails and old-timey snack bars ... it reminded me of the kind of places we went on vacation when I was a kid. The gorge and surrounding geology was fascinating and easy to see and explore.
And more falls! Although not as majestic as Niagara - obviously, these falls were still impressive and striking.
Overall we were very glad we stumbled upon this park, and may even consider coming back for a week's vacation in the future.
Two
Upper FallsUpper FallsUpper Falls

with iron railroad bridge.
more hours of driving and we arrived in Syracuse. Tomorrow's to do list: LAUNDRY, another canal cruise that departs from Herkimer, and dinner at a highly recommended italian place. We'll let you know what we think.
(By the way - I added three short videos to the Tuesday blog: shots of the falls from the boat and the white water rapids. My first attempt at adding videos, so check them out and let me know how they look.)


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0369s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb