Killbear National Park


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Mississauga
August 3rd 2009
Published: August 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

We spent Civic bank holiday here in Canada up in Killbear park about 2 hours north of Toronto. Bears. Black Bears. We wanted to up our 'Canadianisms' and ended up Canadian canoeing and bear hunting - see attached photos. It was early morning and as the sun began to burn away the mist a feeling of anticipation gripped the campsite. What was supposed to be an ordinary day was to turn into something quite extraordinary before long...

...Driving to the canoe hire place, we were suddenly blocked off by a rangers vehicle that screeched to a halt in front of us - the ranger emerged armed with a paintball shotgun and rolled off the track into the undergrowth. A black bear appeared in the woodland and began to scurry away. As the ranger pursued, I left the car for purposes of photography and scott had his door open craning his neck for a better look. We were soon to be reprimanded by the ranger back-up who thought our lives were in danger, but for the time being I was in David Attenborough mode. I conspired with the camera to miss the bear in all six photos I took as the ranger was peppering the bear's behind with paintball bullets. First bear sighted. We had become bear hunters.

Next up was the canoe expedition to Scott Island - a remote deserted island off the coast of Georgian bay - it was one mile away and it took over 90 mins to get too. Two Canadian blokes had warned us that they had capsized in 'seriously choopy waters dude' - they ended up turning back les than half way. Needless to say we powered through crashing through the waves head on and soaking Lindsay at the front while I stayed bone dry at the rear of the vessel! About 1 km from the shore we heard the screams of a wakeboarder who had lost his board and was hanging on to his sails. He was cold and tired and was extremely disorientated. We sighted his board and canoed across the fierce waves to retrieve it before returning it to him. He was grateful but we explained it was all in a days work for the bear hunters.

Kick bear ass - tick.
Save someone's life - tick.

Impact.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



5th August 2009

Are you sure?
I am afraid a lack of bear photos and the calm waters lead me to suspect that you are exaggerating! xx
6th August 2009

yo
I hope you are bringing the bear's head home to be mounted in your hall way as blog fans we are requesting more pictures of food eating, bryn is particularly interested in foreign snacks! miss u x x
7th August 2009

Camp Bant
How the hell do you "bear proof your campsite" ?? lay a mine field around your tent?

Tot: 0.432s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.2342s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb