Where are we now


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Kingston
September 20th 2010
Published: September 20th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We reached Oswego NY and raised our masts in 100F temperatures. An already long job took extra time due to frequent cooling rests. The folks at Oswego Marina are skilled, friendly and welcoming. The sort of place that gives marinas a great name.
Our trip across the lake was uneventful....a good thing, but it was a motor trip...and we had so hoped to sail.
People were apparantly watching for us to go through the basqule bridge in Kingston. As we passed through and turned towards the marina we heard horns blowing, saw people along the shore and observed others heading to the marina gas dock. They all showed up at the gas dock and again at our temporary berth. Never have so many people gathered to watch us dock. It would not have been a good time to flub the docking proceedure! It was a truly warm and wonderful welcome home. It never occurred to either of us that people would be watching for our two masts to come through the bridge.
Within a couple of days I (Ruth) was back to work at West Marine, my feet certainly knew I had not been working in the store for a year.
The marina was unusually full, so we continued doing what we had been doing in most places since we left, we anchored out. We now have a sort of mooring installed just off of Kingston Marina. A dock for the winter has been secured, in fact we moved to a dock on Sept.,19.. This makes getting to work a little easier, since I no longer have to carry shower supplies and chothing changes to and from work. We have not minded the dingy rides, but carrying all that stuff around to and from work has begun to wear a bit thin.
Mark is back to work at Queens university, so now we can plan our next trip(s) and add shekels to the cruising kitty.
Summer here has been warm, sunny and windy..sort of a continuation of the time away. Sadly fall is closing in, with it's chilly mornings and reminds us that winter will come all too soon. We continue to enjoy the company and comraderie of other boaters and cruisers, some of whom , like us will spend the winter in the water here at home, others who have pointed their bows south and will return with their own tales of adventure.
For now the travels have been halted but the adventure continues.

Advertisement



1st October 2010

Miss You!!
Hi ruth & Mark. We are glad to hear you reached home safely & are working toward your next trip!! We are putting Kinvara in the water Nov 1 and will head to the Florida Keys for the winter. We expect to be in Hilton Head, SC by April. I think we will ]end up in New England waters for the summer. Have a safe & warm winter. Jane & Peter Bugg

Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0497s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb