Group photo and T-shirt design


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Kanata
July 27th 2011
Published: July 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

One of the adults going on our trip, Pam, happened to run into a good friend of hers, Councillor Eli El-Chantiry, at the Carp Market on a beautiful Saturday morning. He was strollilng along with the Mayor of Ottawa, Jim Watson.

Since Eli had been very helpful in kicking off the fund raising for this SchoolBOX trip to Nicaragua, Pam decided to update him on our progress. She told him how much we had raised and all the different types of activities the youth participated in to raise all the funds.

Well, Eli is always a person to make good use of such a great story. He suggested that our group come down to City Hall and have our picture taken with him and the Mayor. He would arrange for a photographer and make sure the story got into local newspapers.

So, you can see a picture of the whole group at City Hall in Ottawa, with Councillor Eli El-Chantiry on the left side of the picture and Mayor Jim Watson on the right side. Unfortunately, Councillor Marianne Wilkinson could not be with us for this photo opportunity. She has also been a great supported of our fundraising activities. Her granddaughter is one of the youth going on this trip!

After we got the picture taken with the Mayor and Councillor, they both spoke to our group and told us what a wonderful thing it is to see youth taking such an active interest in helping others. It really shows that Ottawa has a caring heart and is willing to reach out to others.

Then the Mayor surprised us all, and Councillor Eli as well, by inviting us to a reception in his office after we get back. He wants to hear all about our trip, the work that we did and what Nicaragua was like.

We're really looking forward to that! We'll also be speaking to our churches about the trip, telling them how all the support that they gave us over the last year was transformed into smiles on the faces of kids and parents in Nicaragua.

The other pictures are close-ups of the front and back of our group T-shirt. This lets everyone see the fabulous logos that were designed to tell everyone what we are doing and to raise awareness about Kids Helping Kids.

The designs were done by Anna Nativ, a good friend of one of the families involved in this trip to Nicaragua. Thanks Anna!

We're all going to wear our T-shirts on the plane trip down to Nicaragua and tell everyone that asks all about SchoolBOX, the youth of Parish of March and the great work of providing education to kids in Nicaragua.

Get ready everyone! Get excited! Only a few more sleeps to go!!!

Advertisement



29th July 2011

Trip
Only 1 more week until we leave!
3rd August 2011

Tonight - are you packed?
Tonight we gather at St. John's for our official Send-Off! We'll gather at the church with all of our luggage packed and ready to go. At Midnight we'll share a Eucharist together and pray for our trip. It will be a very special moment as anticipation and excitement will be high! Then we hope on a bus at 1am for Montreal airport. So, not much sleep tonight, but by tomorrow afternoon we'll be in Managua, Nicaragua. The heat will be intense and it is also their rainy season! What an exciting adventure!
4th August 2011

MissionNicaragua has started!
Just got done texting with Pam in Montreal airport. They are boarding their flight and should be in Managua later this afternoon. I'll keep everyone updated as quickly as I can.
5th August 2011

MissionNicaragua is in Miami airport
According to the American Airlines automated email update service, they left Montreal at 6:17am today and landed in Miami at 9:41am. Their next flight, from Miami to Managua, leaves Miami at 11:15am and lands at 11:45am local time in Nicaragua. I'll update again when I get further status from the automated service. Regards, Gord C.
5th August 2011

MissionNicaragua has left Miami, heading for Managua
I havent' had anything yet from the automated email service, but I checked on the AA website and found: American Airlines Flight 969 Departed: Miami, Florid Departure Time: 11:31 AM Gate: E9 Will Arrive: Managua, Nicaragua Arrival Time: 11:42 AM Gate: 6 Since Managua is 2 hours behind us, my next update will come around 2pm today. Regards, Gord C.
5th August 2011

MissionNicaragua is on the ground in ...... Nicaragua!!!
Pam sent me an email to say that they are in Managua and the travel went well. Except for some luggage that stayed behind in Miami and took a different flight. They were on their way out to have pizza and go see a volcano. I guess there are some exciting things to see in Nicaragua.

Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0435s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb