Lazy Day


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Haliburton
October 2nd 2016
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 45.1285, -78.555

Chilled out today after a late rise.

A canoe trip, studio visits, sundowners and jovial board games saw us go to bed well after midnight.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Morning paddleMorning paddle
Morning paddle

Had an enjoyable canoe excursion this morning. Peter joined us in his kayak and we paddled up to the beaver lodge and looked at the lake houses and changing leaves.
Beaver lodgeBeaver lodge
Beaver lodge

Nothing great to look at. The entrance is underwater. Beavers do not eat fish and create their ponds so they can build their safe and secure lodge. Apparently even Grizzlies cannot rip open a lodge. There are otters, black bears, deer and wolves in the area, but except for deer these are rarely seen.
Gnawed stickGnawed stick
Gnawed stick

Found this finger-sized stick floating in the lake. The beavers have eaten the bark and their teeth marks can be clearly seen. They can fell trees up to six inches in diameter to eat, make their dams and create their own private pond. We were told later that beavers have an understandable preference for softwood trees. They have to move on after they have denuded their territory, leaving the harder trees to flourish.
Haliburton lookoutHaliburton lookout
Haliburton lookout

Although the sun came out later in the day the weather has mostly been overcast. Not too cold though, with temps in the mid-teens. We were chatting to a picnicker who was comfortable wearing just shorts and a T-shirt!
Afternoon sunlightAfternoon sunlight
Afternoon sunlight

Although the changing colours are later this year there are many pretty sights. The birch and maple leaves decompose quickly but the larger oak leaves are tougher and tend to leave a mess.
Gull River damGull River dam
Gull River dam

A river connects several of the lakes near the cottage. The County adds or removes timber baulks in these slots to regulate the water flow out of the upstream Eagle Lake. This photo was taken at great personal risk to your intrepid photographer as the bank was very steep and overgrown.


4th October 2016

Aaaaah now we see some colour, gorgeous
4th October 2016

An Attenborough shot - wonder where the camera man is!
10th October 2016

Watch out for bears ....

Tot: 0.279s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0498s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb