2nd July 2008


Advertisement
Published: July 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

2nd July 2008
Up early this morning to catch the 9am boat from Tobermory to Flowerpot Island on the glass bottom Blue Heron boat. Amy and I had already done exercises on the deck as the sun came up.
After egg bread for breakfast we set off and caught the boat despite Amy's delaying tactics.
The boat goes out of the small harbour and into the big harbour where there are two sunken wrecks, which you can see through the glass, bottomed boat. These lakes are so large that you cannot see the other side, and they look like a sea because as far as you can see on the horizon it is just water. There are no tides of course but you can get large waves.
Then we carried on to Flowerpot Island, which is one of numerous islands of all shapes and sizes off the tip of the Bruce Peninsular, which form the divide between Georgian Bay and Lake Huron. The limestone rock forms caves, which erode over time forming stacks, which sit on load stone or dolorous rock and form the unique flowerpot shaped stacks. They will fall down in time, in fact there were three but one fell down a few years ago and they have started to shore up the remaining pots with mortar and concrete, which seems a shame.
We did a walk around the shore to the lighthouse and despite the guide saying there was not time to do the loop walk Amy insisted we did it and so Rich and I had to race round the walk to get back to hold the boat for Amy and Bob.
We got back and Amy had two more walks lined up, but as we lost Bob briefly and then he went on strike until we had eaten, we only did one. It took us out to Cyprus Lake and a grotto on the lakeshore, again made from the limestone eroding away. The shoreline has some spectacular rock formations. However the snake, which appeared between my boots wriggling desperately to escape between the rocks, did not impress me! Fortunately not a rattlesnake.
On the way back to the cottage we dropped Amy off 4km from home to run saving us from more forced marches.
After much agonizing we decide not to stay another night as we have to get to Peelie Point tomorrow, a 7 hour drive from Tobermoray, and it seemed better to do two blasts and have time to see Peelie Point at less than a run!
After a quick supper we set off and arrived back in Guelph at 10.30. Just time to do the washing and dump some excess baggage, and of course post the next blog.



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.128s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0867s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb