Day 3: The Storm Racers


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Brockville
July 6th 2011
Published: July 6th 2011
Edit Blog Post

CattleCattleCattle

Cows love the shade too!
Today started off a little less right than yesterday, and not just because the residences were on the North side of the street (we're still heading east). First, Therese noticed some mold on her breakfast sandwich in the residence, and so breakfast was not immediate. Since she had woken up hungry and eaten a few times in the middle of the night, this was not THAT bad, but we did stop for our McDonald's breakfast in Kingston on our way out of town instead of further down the road, and didn't really get going until about 8:15. This turned out alright though, since there was basically nothing for a long way outside of Kingston. Also, we were still quite sore from yesterday (and the previous day as well), and warnings of a thunderstorm coming in from Toronto didn't help much. Eric was a bit worried about starting out, but at the urging of Therese, we got going, and with the weather in Kingston being reasonable, we planned to race the storm to Brockville.

Once outside of Kingston, there is a lot of uphill, downhill, repeat, but through some combination of us getting stronger, and the hills not being as bad
OopsOopsOops

The St-Lawrence Islands were better looking than our camera
as yesterday, we kept making good progress. With the storm coming, much of the morning was cloudier than it had been the last two days, which was actually a nice change, though the mugginess was a lot worse. The sun wasn't hiding completely - one of the few things we did see was a whole herd of cattle hiding under a couple of trees to keep cool. Also, we were eager to make good time, since we wanted to win our race, so we worked hard and kept our breaks short and fairly infrequent. With a good rhythm going, it wasn't long before our muscles warmed up, and the leftover soreness was just background noise.

We stopped for a quick lunch break in Rockport (this place barely even exists), and based on the current sun, thought we would have no trouble with the storm, but by the time we were done our sandwiches it was clear we needed to hit the road again. As soon as we got going, we quickly seemed to out-pace the clouds once more, and feeling good time-wise, and less good strength-wise we took a nice break at an information center for the St-Lawrence islands.
Where's Eric?Where's Eric?Where's Eric?

More from our stop at the St-Lawrence islands info centre
After leaving here, the front edge of the storm pretty much caught up with us, and we had intermittent spitting (though no real rain) the rest of the way to Brockville (less than 20 km). Given the mugginess, this precipitation was actually welcome.

Getting to our hotel we felt pretty good having won our race, especially since it wasn't raining on arrival, and felt even better about our timing when we were told that it had rained here in Brockville all day. On the other hand, that arrival was at 2:00, and since it is now 6:00 with no rain in sight, we're not exactly sure what happened to the supposed storm. On the other other hand, the lack of rain gave us a chance to take a dip in the outdoor pool, which was nice.


Despite the early hour, we're exhausted, so are heading to bed soon. Hope you all enjoyed reading - see you tomorrow!

Stats:
Departure time: 7:45 am (8:15 by the time we really got going)
Arrival time: 2:05 pm
Total distance travelled: 88 km
Total time on bike: 4h 32m
Average speed: 19.4 km/h *
BrockvilleBrockvilleBrockville

We beat the storm!


* We were over 20 km/h the whole day except for the last 10 km or so, and we were really slow at that point because Therese's front wheel was rubbing against her brake, slowing her down and tiring her out 😞. This also includes walking the bike around the side of the motel.

- E and T

Advertisement



6th July 2011

storm racing
Well, nana and I also raced the storm and managed to get to Walmart with her van and get the deck furniture into the van with no rain. It was spitting as I got three of the four boxes of stuff into the garage (thank goodness the garage cleaning fairies cleaned the garage last summer) and gave up on the fourth box temporarily. We headed to Starbucks for coffee and bagels, then it poured and we headed to the JCC (north branch) to meet a tour bus that took Nana, me and forty two "older" people to see the musical 9 to 5. The show was ok, the people on the tour bus were far more entertaining, and I feel very young now. Then we had dinner out (Red Lobster) and got home where our neighbours Steve and Michael (my former student and tutee) helped get the fourth box into the garage. I am tired and full and hope to be able to put the furniture together myself. Wish me luck. I love reading about your progress and daily adventures and look forward to your entry each day. I am so impressed with how quickly you are conquering Ontario. Take care, rest well, eat lots and have fun tomorrow. Love Mom
7th July 2011

way to go guys! i guess you'll only get faster from here on so you should be home next week? the blog is really great but more pictures please.
7th July 2011

Added Friction
I hate added friction on my bike! Sometimes the brake pads can be out of alignment, or the brake cable needs to be adjusted. Of course, if your front wheel becomes bent, then you know what your problem is but it's not as cheap to fix. :P Speaking of the weather, have you been getting a favourable wind? I don't know about the two of you, but I would rather bike uphill than into a strong headwind.
7th July 2011

Really enjoying the play-by-play commentary and so impressed with you guys! With all the sun and cardio you guys are getting, you're going to come back as a couple of raisins.
7th July 2011

Keep up the good work
7th July 2011

Keep up the good speed. You will be in PEI soon but it sounds like you will have really sore butts. My sister might have some ointment for that and she could apply it to you both!!!!!!! Everyone says hello and Sebastian and Janelle say an extra big hello. Hello from Phoebe and Oliver skiing in New Zealand. Your mom is cooking up a storm right now but she also says hi and be careful.. Do you miss her cooking yet? Or do you like mouldy sandwiches? Dino just arrived and says hello and happy" trails to you". Be safe and keep the messages coming
8th July 2011

Good work guys! Sounds like lots of fun. I'm very proud of you, although I'd like to see less McDonald's breakfasts please! Apparently porridge is a great biker's breaky. Love your nutritionist sister.
9th July 2011

way to go guys! i guess you'll only get faster from here on so you should be home next week? the blog is really great but more pictures please.

Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 31; dbt: 0.033s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb