Stupid is as stupid does?


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Ajax
February 23rd 2012
Published: February 23rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

There is stupid, there is really really stupid, and then there is this guy. An airline passenger heading for Houston on Continental Airlines is facing federal charges, because he apparently refused to turn off an electronic cigarette, threatened other passengers and crew and then in a moment of pure brilliance - invoked the name of Osama bin Laden.
<!-- Item fulltext -->
Yazeed Mohammed A. Abunayyan who had boarded at Portland International Airport is charged with interfering with a flight crew.

Passengers said the man was unruly from the beginning of the journey after he was not given a seat next to his friend.

However, the court document said the incident began when a flight attendant asked Abunayyan to stop smoking an electronic cigarette. He refused to stop or hand over the device.

He then began yelling profanities and swinging his fist at the flight attendant and, according to the document, hit or attempted to hit several passengers who rushed to help the flight attendant.

Not content with that little bit of nonsense, Abunayyan upped the ante and, the document said, began speaking or singing about Osama bin Laden and his hatred of women.

Passenger Nancy Haywood told CBS affiliate KHOU, that he was also “screaming: ‘Allah is great, Allah is great’. It kind of worries you when that happens.” She said.

According to the airline, his outburst caused the flight attendant to deviate from safety protocols by unbuckling her restraints and leaving her seat during takeoff, causing the flight to alter its route and return to its origin.

The FBI questioned the suspect once the Continental plane returned to Portland about an hour and a half after it left.

The suspect is scheduled to make an initial appearance in US Magistrate Court in Oregon according to Gerri Badden, spokeswoman for the US Attorney’s Office.

E-cigarettes, which heat a liquid nicotine solution, are not specifically prohibited by the Transportation Safety Administration – like tobacco cigarettes – on commercial planes. However they are banned by Continental Airlines.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0492s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb