Five-Star Menus, Wine Tastings, Exclusive Touring, Michelin Dining & Impeccable Service Are Par for the Course


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Ontario » Ajax
January 9th 2012
Published: January 9th 2012
Edit Blog Post

River CruisingRiver CruisingRiver Cruising

River Cruising 2012
Five-Star Menus, Wine Tastings, Exclusive Touring, Michelin Dining & Impeccable Service Are Par for the Course

French Country Waterways is kicking off their 28th year in luxury barge cruising with the launch of an impressive selection of elegant vacation experiences aboard its own fleet of luxury canal barges. Detailed in a new 2012 brochure is the return of eight-passenger Princess to the Upper Loire Valley – nicknamed the “Garden of France” for its idyllic landscape and pleasant climate, as well as the two routes taken by the 12-passenger Adrienne -- splitting her season between the celebrated region of Champagne and the enchanting Alsace-Lorraine route, which traverses a landscape of half-timbered houses, cobblestone streets, rolling meadows and lush forests. The six-night cruises are also offered in Central Burgundy aboard the eight-guest Horizon II, and along Canal de Bourgogne in Burgundy’s fabled Côte d'Or wine-growing region aboard the 12-passenger Nenuphar. Prices for the weekly Sunday departures, April through October, range from $5,095 to $6,695 per person, double occupancy.

The elegant six-night sailings, aboard the company’s fleet of eight- to 12-passenger luxury barges, delve into French culture both on board and ashore with a bevy of upscale amenities that are standard on all their cruises. Dining is a true French experience: pastries and breads, bought locally each morning, and freshly squeezed juices for breakfast; innovative cuisine is prepared by talented chefs, who use fresh, seasonal ingredients to create classic French fare; a selection of Grand Cru and Premier Cru wines, chosen from a pre-season tasting of nearly 200 bottles; and six new cheeses each day, ranging from popular French varieties to small, locally-sourced cheeses. Each route also features an elegant dinner at a celebrated Michelin-starred restaurant, including Auberge des Templiers in les Bezards, Le Cerf in Marlenheim, Lameloise in Chagny, Les Crayères in Reims and Le Relais Bernard Loiseau in Saulieu.

Other features of the itineraries are daily sightseeing excursions and private wine tastings; an attentive, knowledgeable crew that is fluent in English and French; and time to relax on the sundeck and walk or bicycle along canal towpaths. Hot-air ballooning is also available.

The eight-passenger Princess, formerly the private barge of shipping magnate Daniel K. Ludwig, journeys the Upper Loire Valley, where a network of canals link Paris to the château country of the southwest, a favorite respite for French royalty. Highlights include a private cellar tour and wine tasting in the charming village of Sancerre; dinner ashore at the Michelin-starred Auberge des Templiers in les Bezards; a visit to the medieval town of Gien, a leading center for French faience; and a day trip – including lunch – to the magnificent Château de Chambord, the largest of the Loire Valley châteaux.

The 12-passenger Adrienne, luxuriously outfitted with six king suites, splits her season between the Champagne and Alsace-Lorraine regions. In Alsace-Lorraine excursions include a walking tour in Nancy; a visit to Place Stanislas, one of the most beautiful and distinguished squares in all of Europe; and cosmopolitan Strasbourg and its 12th-century cathedral, one of Europe’s most stunning examples of Gothic architecture; and a wine tour and tasting of crisp, fruity varietals in Traenheim. In Champagne travelers will explore the Gothic Cathedral of Reims and the cellars Moet & Chandon; enjoy a private tour and tasting at the House of Ployez-Jacquemart; and tour the American Cemetery and World War I battlefields at Belleau Wood.

The eight-passenger Horizon II explores picturesque Central Burgundy as it cruises the Canal de Bourgogne on the route between Tanlay and Venarey-les-Laumes. Guests visit Auxerre’s St. Etienne Cathedral and historic quarter; the Abbaye de Fontenay, one of the best-preserved Cistercian monasteries; the splendid Renaissance château of Ancy-le-Franc; and a privately owned vineyard in Chablis, where a tour of the property is followed by a tasting. At the Forges de Buffon, founded by 18th-century naturalist Georges-Louis de Buffon, guests tour before sharing a glass of wine with the owner.

The beauty of Burgundy’s fabled Côte d'Or wine-growing region reveals itself as the 12-passenger Nenuphar sails along the Canal de Bourgogne; the narrow 18th-century Canal du Centre, overlooking vineyards of the Côte de Beaune; and the meandering River Saône. Daily escorted sightseeing excursions include a walking tour of Dijon with its Ducal Palace and elegant shops; medieval Clos de Vougeot, the Chevaliers du Tastevin headquarters surrounded by vineyards dating back to the 12th century; Beaune, the charming wine capital of Burgundy; 12th-century La Rochepot castle; and a tasting of renowned Burgundies in the private cellars of a local vintner in Rully.

Each barge has been meticulously designed and is extensively refurbished on a continual basis, with suites featuring private baths and king, queen or twin beds. The barges are available for individual bookings and for charter groups of six to 12. Special room rates are offered at the designated meeting point hotels in Paris and/or Strasbourg for guests wishing to extend their stay.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0442s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb