Lake Charlotte


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Nova Scotia
September 7th 2013
Published: September 7th 2013
Edit Blog Post

After crossing the Mc Kay suspension bridge into Dartmouth we wandered along small country roads skirting the Atlantic ocean with its crashing waves. It seemed that everyone was having a yard sale today and the parking restricted the roadside considerably. Still everyone was good about it. The sun was at its best today and the temperatures went into the 22 degrees area for a time. There was a cool breeze at the beach side but was refreshing. Musquodoboit harbour seemed to be the centre of everything in this area with the Lions Club were organizing some big event.

We then continued onto Lake Charlotte to see the Heritage Museum which was set up around the 1940's. It was well organised and there was a 40's canteen style lunch included. Corn Chowder, Bean stew and Gingerbread or a sandwich. The cook was not to be spoken to as she was too busy but the coffee was cold until we discussed what 1940's coffee would have been like before the freshly roasted coffee was ready for consumption. The school room reminded me of my school days and the books of information about the world were mainly North America. Books on life and how to treat each other were prominent and the Maths lesson was adding fractions. The reading matter included Blake , Tennyson and Walter De La Mare. The desks had lockers built into the base of the seats.

It was interesting to note that the United Church built in 1900 had been moved to the museum site in three pieces . We saw that the newer one in the township was exactly the same style.



The coastline was rugged with a wide sweeping bay and dune style banks. The sand was hard packed like some of them on the East Coast of England. Today is our last full day in Nova Scotia and we have thoroughly enjoyed the experience.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0418s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb