Lighthouse in Pubnico Harbour, Nova Scotia


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Nova Scotia » Yarmouth
July 25th 2018
Published: July 27th 2018
Edit Blog Post

We headed out this morning in search of a few lighthouses on the southeast coast. It was a fairly long drive (about 235 miles round trip), so we had scheduled only a few. The first one required us to walk out the rocky shoreline to get a good photo. The skies were cloudy, the breeze off the ocean was cool and the fog rolled all over the harbor.

This lighthouse sets on the edge of Pubnico Harbour which is a deep, landlocked inlet found between Cape Sable and Yarmouth with the town of Pubnico at its head. I found some Interesting information on the first keeper.

Matruin Amero was appointed first keeper of the Pubnico Harbour Lighthouse in 1853. The Annual Report of the Department of Marine and Fisheries for 1874 noted that the dwelling house measured twenty-five by seventeen feet and was joined to the light tower as a wing. Keeper Amero resided in this 425 square feet of living space with his family of eight. Initially, the oil had to be housed inside the dwelling as well, but later an oil house of dimensions fifteen feet by twelve feet was constructed near the lighthouse.

As Amero was also a carpenter, he eventually expanded the living space until it reportedly had twenty-two rooms. Still, life on the point was difficult, as storms brought waves crashing against the dwelling and prevented the family from growing a garden or keeping an animals on the narrow spit of land they called home.

The tower that stands on the spit of land now was erected in 1984.

In addition to the lighthouse, there were several large containers that dotted the shoreline around the lighthouse. After a little research, it appears these are used to keep/hold lobsters during the season. Fishermen will hold them until the market is paying a premium price.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

06_shoreline06_shoreline
06_shoreline

All the thousands of little/medium size pebbles on the shoreline


28th July 2018
04_shoreline

Lighthouse Pubnico - Photo 04
Lighthouse Pubnico, picture 04 did you put the small rocks on top of other like that? That for sure was human done :-) The fog looked really think in that one picture - reminds me of movie "The Fog"
5th August 2018
04_shoreline

Rocks
You see these stacks all over the place. There is a actually a whole story about these rock-stackings. A cairn, the official term for deliberately stacking rocks, is a mound of stones built as a memorial or landmark. It seems that most no longer have this meaning and there are actually "movements" out there that are asking people to leave the stones alone! LOL. We have seem them in many of our travels. Not sure which ones are actual memorials and which are people just stacking rocks.
28th July 2018

Lighthouse Pubnico
Oh I missed the picture of Jean. I see Jean! Hi Jean :-)

Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0637s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb