Rainy Nova Scotia Drive


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Nova Scotia » Parrsboro
May 31st 2016
Published: May 31st 2016
Edit Blog Post

May 30, Monday

Left the Highbury Campground early because it was raining and trying to eat breakfast in the rain is not on my list of imperative experiences … maybe if I had decided to drive the wilds of Labrador but that part of my BMA was stricken from the schedule.

The Macs in the Mall at the end of the road out from the campground beckoned. Sitting there with another $6+ breakie I was able to write a blog and publish it. Had only two terrifying moments when the curser turned into an evil instrument and threw me off my page. Thankfully the guardian angels of the ether persevered and the blog was rescued and published.

The drive origianly planned was to Parrsboro but it was too far to do in one day from Wolfville. Achange of plans and reservations brought me as far as Masstown.

All of Monday was wet … precipitation in the form of drizzle, downpour, mist, shower, sprinkle, spit, and cloudburst. Only thing missing was a deluge. All that rain and the van is still sandy, muddy, and dusty.

The route took me from Wolfville, which is a town pretty enough
Kennetcook Beside DowntownKennetcook Beside DowntownKennetcook Beside Downtown

...had my doubts about how deep this puddle could be.
to move to immediately if I spoke Nova Scotian, to Windsor where I stopped at the head office of N.S. Tourism to ask for info and to make a pit stop, then Brooklyn … no impression left from here except that the van went a few times in a circle trying to find the correct direction to Kennetcook.

Kennetcook had a bridge, a Foodland, a Credit Union, a Robin’s Restaurant, a gas station, and a Pics and Flics Shop. Highway 236 passed thru and by these buildings in the wink of an eye. Because there was a huge puddle I stopped. Earlier on the highway a sign warning about possible flooding had forewarned of this danger. Not knowing the depth of the huge collection of brown water the puddle was circumvented and after a few shots of this town smaller than the name on the map the journey continued.

It was smooth sailing … no pun intended as to the amount of water surrounding the van … until the co-pilot and the van reached the outskirts of Truro. There was no intention to stop here but too many roads converged and the signage on the actual streets was
Truro MansionTruro MansionTruro Mansion

...found this while avoiding a one way street, The spindles and the columns holding up the porch are cork screwed in design.
poor. The city info booth was closed. Stopping at a gas station the correctness my nose was once again confirmed. I was on the right track and would only have to turn right and head for Amherst. OK …so the nose became confused with all the directions given and the van puddled around a few kilometres until it was finally on the right road.

Next destination Masstown Market came highly recommended by the two ladies wo/manning a tourist info centre at the Tidal Bore Observation Platform. Had a nice chat with them but was not prepared to wait three hours to witness the tidal bore … will watch the video! Now in this spot of the Bay of Fundy i.e. Minas Basin it has been discovered that more time should have been spent here than on the north side of the Bay.

Info and video at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tidal_bore

Finally Masstown Market … and that is what it is … a huge store a la Superstore only not Loblaw’s.

Beside the Market is a tall lighthouse that sells fresh fish and from a boat shaped restaurant sells the most amazing deep fried halibut ever. My eyes being bigger than my stomach I ordered two pieces of fish and fries. BIG error… could only eat the one piece fish and some of the fries … albeit with mayonnaise. The second piece will have to be lunch, even if only the fish is eaten out of the batter just in case that has become soggy.

After this repast a climb up the inside of the lighthouse was in order. The view was not as spectacular as advertised but the info in pictures and words on the various landings was informative and lead me to believe that more time should have been spent in this neck of the Bay.

The fish store had lots of info pamphlets and even sold an embroidered patch with Nova Scotia written on it. The clerk who comes from here had no idea how the tide predictor on the outside of the lighthouse worked. There are wires carrying a board with waves painted upon it up and down to show at what level the tide is at.

Elm River Campground was not hard to find. The van stood in a good spot, secluded and removed from the huge RV’s which so close to
Conditments for Fish DinnerConditments for Fish DinnerConditments for Fish Dinner

The lobster lit up, made noise and moved when my order was ready.
one another that coffee or beer could be passed from one to the other. The bathrooms were close and the showers free … which they were not at Highbury, although for a loonie enough hot water came down to make the body happy.

Driving all day in the rain is tiring and sleep came immediately. Have yet to write the list of the possible dangers to be encountered. At the end of Monday it was the distance to be travelled to the toilets in good time. Obviously this danger is mentioned here because the distance though close was too far to be reached on time. OYVEH!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Boat RestaurantBoat Restaurant
Boat Restaurant

...thru a window screen from the top of the lighthouse.
Fish and ChipsFish and Chips
Fish and Chips

This is just one of the pieces of halibut. The second one fit into a box all by itself.
Lighthouse at Masstown MarketLighthouse at Masstown Market
Lighthouse at Masstown Market

...Notice thewires going up the wall without windows. At the bottom left hand side is an arrow lit up to show the tideis rising and the pic of waves is moving up the wall at the speed that the tide rises.
Power Line FixerPower Line Fixer
Power Line Fixer

...parked beside the Market the back of this truck had just too much texture to ignore.


1st June 2016

My Dear aunt Barbara, I am so happy to see that your adventurous spirit is still moving you around. It is quite distance from my previous address in Toronto, but I was, maybe 10 times in Dartmouth, twice or three times in Sydney, it was always interesting, different, mostly cold and windy, but the most memorable moments were in the pub in Dartmouth with interior design like an old pirate boat. The best chicken wings in the town and draft Kieth's were always on the table...year 2005-6. Best regards, Alfred from Merano, BZ, Italy
9th September 2017

Alfred... am still here... leaving for UK Monday Sept 11 and staying in Europe till jan 10. Thank you for your kind words...sorry I do not read the comments often enough and I have scrapped facebook...tooo many babies and doggies. Am using messenger... are you still in Italy... I will be in Vienna in Dec. ...keep in touch..;-)
2nd June 2016

travels
I do so love the photos. I haven't seen bleeding hearts here. That halibut looks totally delicious, we don't get anything that luscious here. Having done a lighthouse tour here I find them very interesting and would like to see that tide marker in action. The bridge sounds pretty impressive. the longest bridge in our area is just over 603m

Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0724s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb