2010-08-10 Canada - Sydney to Truro


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Nova Scotia » Cape Breton » Louisbourg
August 10th 2010
Published: August 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Last Day of Vacation.... We woke up and decided to try a different Puffin Tour boat. We drove to Big Bras d'Or hoping Bird Island Tour Boats would have two available seats. Success! 😊 The boat set off at approximately 10:15 a.m. The boat was operated by Captain Van Schaick and his son. They both enthusiastically shared information about all the birds and seals we would see at the Bird Islands. We saw Atlantic Puffins, Bald Eagles, many Great and Double Crested Cormorants, Blue Herons, and Grey Seals. On the return trip we even saw Northern Gannets diving for fish, rare for this far south. We then headed to the Fortress of Louisbourg. This is a 1744 historic reconstruction of a French fort, the largest in North America. People were dressed in period clothing and demonstrated skills from that era. We saw a military demonstration with muzzle-load rifles and the grand finale, a cannon firing. We had a fun time watching "the running of the even-toed ungulates" and then left. Rather than return to Sydney, we decided to drive part of the way back to Halifax. We stopped at the golden arches for a "McLobster" and then at Mother Webb's for a delicious dinner. Finally, we called it a day when we arrived at Truro.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Grey Seal saying "HI"Grey Seal saying "HI"
Grey Seal saying "HI"

and "Do you have some fish for me?"


Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0407s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb