A warm shower in Inuvik!


Advertisement
Published: July 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Ok..........Phew that was tough!
Quite possibly the toughest ride I've ever had to do on a motorcycle. 380 kilometres of mud. It seems so easy to just type the word out....mud.....but it posed quite a few problems. Basicallly, Adam and I were the only 2 idiots on the Dempster over the last 2 days riding bikes north. In fact, we only counted a dozen cars or so over the entire 380 kms. But we made it after 81/2 hours of battling the elements to a hotel room and a hot shower. We had to stop at one point to unclog Adam's radiator. Basically his bike was no longer being cooled efficiently and so we used a camelbak bladder as a "pressure washer" (Nevil squeezing the bladder and Adam squirting water into the radiator) to clean everything out. So far so good as far as the bikes are concerned but remember....we've got to ride the Dempster 742 kms back yet......not looking forward to this if it keeps raining! Anyway, we hope to be back camping at Eagle Plains tonight which is halfway to Dawson City ...oh and the worst part of the Dempster out of the way (basically the road deteriorates dramatically at the NWT border to Inuvik).
We slept well last night, our hotel rooms strewn with wet muddy gear drying out. Our bikes have been pressure washed for the trip back (easier maintenance if you can see the bike) and we are ready fo the ride back!
Internet coverage is very sparse here....i tried a variety of different methods to get coverage....hope this one works. The tracking device doesn't work at all. Sorry about this but it only works off the GSM (cellular network) and is tied into Rogers Cellular who only operate in the south of Alberta and BC. I gues I'm carrying an expensive paperweight.
Anyway.....on with the trip south. The weather is dry at present but heavily overcast and it looks like rain again.....I'll try to post another blog from Eagle Plains tonight.
Enjoy the photos.

😊 Nevil


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



26th July 2010

Awful weather
I hope the weather improve for you soon,so that you can enjoy the rest of your trip.Take care. I am with you all the way. Love Mum

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0432s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb