The Isle of Newfoundland


Advertisement
Canada's flag
North America » Canada » Newfoundland & Labrador
September 29th 2017
Published: September 30th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Route Back and Forth across Newfoundland


We crossed over from Nova Scotia, leaving Sydney, and arrived in Port aux Basques, the southwest port in Newfoundland for the ferry. There is a second ferry route that leaves from the eastern side of the island, but only runs until mid-September. We were about 3 days late being able to catch the last ferry of the season, so we ended up both coming in and going out at Port aux Basques and then driving back and forth across the island. No small task as the highway from one end to the other is just short of 400 miles. The island is low and rocky along the coastlines, but then increases fairly significantly in elevation in the middle section. The coastlines are fairly open with scatter, small pines and shrubs, while the central highlands are heavily forested with a mix of conifer and deciduous or several varieties, including Birch and Maple. A lot of the trees in the highlands were starting to turn color, so there were some areas full of bright yellow, golds and reds. Others were still solid green.

The inland area of the island was less than remarkable other than the beginning of the change in color.
One of a couple of local railway museumsOne of a couple of local railway museumsOne of a couple of local railway museums

Right outside the window of our hotel in Port aux Basques was a local railway museum for the old Newfoundland Railway, a narrow gauge system that ran from St. John's on the east coast across the island to Port aux Basques. At one time it even sent cars via ferry to Sydney. The new highway generally follows the route of the old railway which ceased operations in 1988.
Miles and miles of trees lining the highway, with a city about every 50 miles. To get to the really scenic areas of the province, which are the fishing villages along the north, east and west coastlines, we had to take side roads that wound out of the trees and eventually along the coastline. Well worth the effort to get out of the central section and see the real Newfoundland.

I found 3 railway museums on the island, all of them honoring the old Newfoundland Railway, which began operations in 1898 and ceased operations in 1988. One was in Port aux Basques, one in Corner Brook, and the other in St. John's. Two were closed for the season, so I could only see the equipment parked outside the buildings. The one in St. John's was open and had some nice interior displays, along with some limited equipment outside. See the pictures posted.

Not much more to write about, so I'll just post extra pictures so you can see the beauty to be found in this province and provide a little narrative as appropriate.

Tomorrow we head back across on the ferry to Nova Scotia. Hope to be
The museum in Corner BrookThe museum in Corner BrookThe museum in Corner Brook

the last steam loco to operate on the Newfoundland Railway, a Baldwin build in Philadelphia in 1928.
in Halifax by Monday.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

The St. John's Railway MuseumThe St. John's Railway Museum
The St. John's Railway Museum

St. John's also had a museum for the Newfoundland Railway. This museum focused more on the history of the railway and its role in developing Newfoundland more than on equipment. It's housed in the old station.
Is this what happened to Joe?Is this what happened to Joe?
Is this what happened to Joe?

One of the displays in the museum in St. John's was of a typical gandy dancer. Reminded me a little of what Joe must have looked like in his prime.
My other new carMy other new car
My other new car

Thought I'd buy this. It even has a trailer we can use to haul our loot when we travel.
A north shore fishing village.A north shore fishing village.
A north shore fishing village.

This is a typical fishing village along the north shore of the island. The coastline is dotted with these types of small villages. (I added the coloring to make it look forlorn).
Port aux BasquesPort aux Basques
Port aux Basques

This is the fishing section of Port aux Basques, where the ferry comes and goes to Newfoundland.
The highlands from Port aux BasquesThe highlands from Port aux Basques
The highlands from Port aux Basques

This shows how the mountains (hills?) rise off the coastal areas into the central highlands.
Rocky BrookRocky Brook
Rocky Brook

One of multiple brooks criss-crossing the central highlands. Here you can see the start of the coloring of the landscape.
This is not a federal offenseThis is not a federal offense
This is not a federal offense

Saw this stuffed Bald Eagle in the visitor center of the Terra Nova National Park located about 100 miles inland from St. John's.
Historic fishing villageHistoric fishing village
Historic fishing village

This is the original historic section of one of the fishing villages located along the north shore.
Rockie PondRockie Pond
Rockie Pond

We came across this pond that was strewn with big rocks all throughout. A hand painted sign was erected on the edge naming it "Rockie Pond".
A bright clear day in Newfoundland (finally!)A bright clear day in Newfoundland (finally!)
A bright clear day in Newfoundland (finally!)

We had lots of clouding days and drizzle, but on our last day the sun broke out and brightened everything up.


Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0516s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb